Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ive been back to the vets again today as the 2 bearded dragons i got last week that are 3 year old arent very well one has lice or louse however its spelt and the other is very skinny he told me he was not a reptile expert but the beardies are very pale inside the mouth and with the little one been so skinny he thinks there diet is no good and they are very low on vitimin a he gave them a vitimin injection and said i must get them to eat veg i told him i was trying everything i could but as they was eating locus and crickets and some wax worms which is dusted with nutrobal i cant see whats too wrong with there diet if they wont eat veg i bath them every other day and but water bowl in n out there viv all the time and they go lay in it.....well its well n truely upset me as i thought i was doing right i got them because the 1st owner could not aford them ive replaced the uvb from a 8 to a 10% 4ft in a 6ft viv basking temp is fine other end is 84 ish ave i bitten of more than i can chew im getting ready to get rid off them both with the set up any coments folks anyone interested with them (both males)

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Dont have much experience with Lizards but it sounds to me like you are doing the right thing.

Are the two males in the same vivarium?

Dont loose heart just yet, someone with more experience will be along soon, beardies are popular with the experienced keepers on here as well as new-comers: victory:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
are they both housed together? because males can often fight but it has been heard of, that some males can live together, but i would highly reccomend that they should be housed serperatly, maybe there in bad shape because of fighting? have you noticed any hosilitly towards each other? do they not eat salad at all?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi folks when i got them they was together happy as larry but then started head bobbin n the smaller one lunged at the other lucky i was there n seperated them ive pationed the 6 x2x2 viv so they ave 3x2x2 for now each but they try to climb the wall to get to each other and head but it one did get over and both just sat together the vet and shop ave said they are 80% sure both males

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
my friend has 3 males that have shared a viv for years and get on perfectly well, no fighting at all and all are definately males.

again i'm not experienced with dragons but my tortoise can be a very stubborn eater. a few people on here recommended i use cherry tomatoes to scent the salad and weeds i was offering him when he stopped eating, i had already tried it and it did work at first so you could give it a go. or if you find a vege they like scent a whole bowl full by mixing the favourite in a sandwich bag and shaking it to mix it up.

i would definately leave vege in the viv every day, if they are not used to it they may take a while to start eating it but just persevere, even if you have to waste some food for a while. it sounds like you are doing ok at the moment, try and find a proper reptile vet, look on the sticky on here to see if one is near by. good luck and hopefully someone more helpful than me will be along soon.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
did the vet do a fecal test to see if it was parasites causing the weight loss as a beardie fed on large quantity of live food are normally overweight.
would feed as you have but dont overfeed and put fresh wet salad in for them daily.
i dont know whole story ie how they were fed and kept before you got them best to go to a qualified reptile vet if they show no signs of improvement
hope they get better soon

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
if they have been heavily infested with lice for a long enough time they will become anaemic ie loose weight, lack of decent circulation (pale mouths etc) have you got a mite treatment of any sort?

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
When you say you are using Nutrobal, how often? This should not be used more than twice a week due to possible overdose and hypervitaminosis. You should also be using a pure calcium powder on every feed.

I know you have had problems with having to separate them. Has each dragon now got it's own spot light?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Lightly dust Nutrabal on the salads and live food on weekends and use calcium powder the rest of the week (dust any food you give your live foods with calcium powder too).

If they won’t eat their greens look for a good list of various salads, fruits and veggies they can eat (can be found on the forum if you search) and keep trying various types and combinations, you may then hit on a selection they like. They should eat their veggies quite happily if they are adults, its like us – we have our own favourite foods and foods we avoid. You just need to find the right ones and give them variety.

You need to find a treatment for the lice and if you have males together you may need to separate them.

Hope this helps. You seem to be doing a good job, it just seems a bit daunting and scary when things seem to go wrong..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
here is alist of things they can and carnt have, hope this helps and gd luck,i got 2 baby beardies 3days ago and im goin through finding what they will and wont eat at the mo.

Nutrition Content

1 - 10 of 10 Posts