Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read that a creamsicle corn is a ratsnake x cornsnake, and other sites say that it is just a corn morph. my trusty book has no mention of them :( :roll: can anyone help please :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
captaincaveman said:
yeah its crossed with a great plains rat snake :D
spit said:
They are just a corn morph i'm sure
bout as much help as the rest of the net lmao :lol:

was hoping that cornmorphs woul shed some light, but he's bot usually around til later... maby some are hybrids, and others are morphs.....how confusing :?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Corn snakes, Pantherophis guttatus, have 2 subspecies:

The standard corn snake is Pantherophis guttatus guttatus

The 'Great Plains rat snake' is a subspecies of corn snake - Pantherophis guttatus emoryi

So a cross between these 2 can be looked at as either a corn morph in general, or a x between subspecies, depending at what level you are looking at it.

I think.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Cremsicle is more specifically the amelanistic trait crossed into the P.g. emoryi subspecies.

Just quoting from a book :wink:

G

·
Creamsicles are a hybrid of corn and great plains.They should not be sold as a corn snake or a great plains rat but as a creamsicle.

There have been many problems in the past with shops etc selling creamsicle corn snakes as they are being mis-represented

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
creamsicles are AMELANISTIC corn X rat yes
Copper (or root beer in the USA) is the name for the normal colour version

the name is no longer JUST used for the amelanistic version of a Corn X Great Plains however

a breeder in surrey was kicking out creamsicles and coppers in large quantities, these were breed from BAIRDS ratsnake to corn snake.. they were sold to the trade and the general public as creamsicles and coppers in quite large numbers!

people can argue all day long that a Bairds X should not be called a creamsicle, but trust me, there are a lot of orange and yellow snakes out there, that have been bought and sold as creamsicles, that have come from Bairds heritage.

these days its almost impossible to tell which rat snake a creamsicle has in it.. GPR or Bairds... the GPR versions SEEM to have a little less white, and more a solid colouring though...

i have one of the last ones she ever bred, sold to me as a creamsicle, from KNOWN Bairds Ratsnake parentage..

either way however, no, a creamsicle is not a pure corns snake.

Nerys

·
Registered
399 Posts
ooops :oops: shows how much i know.Never knew that just thought the were a morph.This is why i like coming on here cos you learn new stuff all the time.Will do some reading up i think.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Nerys said:
creamsicles are AMELANISTIC corn X rat yes
Copper (or root beer in the USA) is the name for the normal colour version

the name is no longer JUST used for the amelanistic version of a Corn X Great Plains however

a breeder in surrey was kicking out creamsicles and coppers in large quantities, these were breed from BAIRDS ratsnake to corn snake.. they were sold to the trade and the general public as creamsicles and coppers in quite large numbers!

people can argue all day long that a Bairds X should not be called a creamsicle, but trust me, there are a lot of orange and yellow snakes out there, that have been bought and sold as creamsicles, that have come from Bairds heritage.

these days its almost impossible to tell which rat snake a creamsicle has in it.. GPR or Bairds... the GPR versions SEEM to have a little less white, and more a solid colouring though...

i have one of the last ones she ever bred, sold to me as a creamsicle, from KNOWN Bairds Ratsnake parentage..

either way however, no, a creamsicle is not a pure corns snake.

Nerys
So does your one have yellow markings? Mine doesn't, only red and orange

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
me at work just now, will post pics tomorrow, coz out all night woohoo!

But mine is young, but the yellow markings are not present.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the amount of yellow in them can very a great deal actually

i bred a GPR creamsicle to a Bairds creamsicle this year, and of the 7 babies 5 were yellow and orange, and two were red and orange..

they all carried abberant markings.. its a trait of creamsicles that they often have the ziz-zaggy markings up their backs..

lemme find some pics..

N

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ok, male bairds creamsicle as a hatchling..

think he was about this size when you saw him nigel!

and as he grew..

N

1 - 20 of 23 Posts