Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of research on R.I.s and since I got my corn milton I've noticed that maybe once, max twice a day he kinda exhales quickly like if you had a piece of dust in your nose. It's not wheezing or sneezing. He's not presenting any other signs of an RI. He's exceptionally healthy, active and eating like a pig, has stable temps etc. Have him on paper towels at the mo, as discovered a small amount of mites a while ago but they're gone now.

The place where I bought him are a bit clueless and said they were cooling him off at the moment for no apparent reason, just 'doing' it. Also most of the 10 mites on him I found were congregating around his nostrils, think maybe they may have irritated the mucous membranes?

I honestly don't think it is a RI but I want to raise the temps just in case. The temps are currently in and around 85F. What should I raise them to?

What do you think it could be? I know horses exhale like this when they're relaxed, do you think that may be what he's doing? Always does it when he's relaxed.

He also sticks his whole head in his water bowl when drinking, maybe some water is getting into the nostrils?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could up the temps to about 88F to be on the safe side, as long as it doesn't push the cool end too high (over about 78F).

I've heard that they can display this type of thing when coming up for a shed but never experienced it myself.

Did you treat the mites with anything? Could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll do that so.

Well, he's after shedding recently.

Treated the mites with savlon, that's it.

Thanks mark.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi OI

My JCP did this for a few days about 6 months ago and I immediately, like you, thought it was a RI.

The mites could have caused some irritation or like you though it could have been from the water.

When was the last time you saw some mites, just concerned that there may be some eggs or juvenile mites still lurking about. If they are in the nostrils I guess it could be causing the irritation.

cheers

os

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 weeks ago osmotic, haven't seen any since...

·
Registered
352 Posts
IIRC the lifecycle of snake mites is between 14 and 19 days depending on temperatures etc. If the snake is still doing it it wouldn't hurt to take him to the vet to be on the safe side.

What substrate was he on before the paper towels?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wood chips

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and there are no vets around here anyway.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know what I just realised? He spends a lot of his time running his nose across the mesh lid, I wonder if that's causing it? When I move him to his new viv we'll see...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts