Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set my parents up a fish tank a while ago with tropicals, I haven't kept tropicals for quite a while and am looking for a bit of advice on an 'off colour' fish.
They have a platy that had very closed up fins yesterday, I thought that usually meant parasites, so I started checking out treatments, but now it has opened up its fins a little and it has a chunk missing from the centre of the tail, it's a bit raggedy so it could be fin rot, but it could equally be a bite from the other platy who has been a bit of a bully in the past but seemed to have calmed down.
I'm looking for white, but on a pale coloured fish I'm struggling to see which bits are meant to be that colour and which bits aren't.
Any advice on what to go with next? I'd rather avoid medication in the tank if possible as they have cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Get an ammonia test kit (free ammonia, some kits test combined Ammonia/Ammonium, and these are pretty useless.) and test the water. Fin clamping is often a classic sign of an ammonia spike, as is ulceration etc.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get an ammonia test kit (free ammonia, some kits test combined Ammonia/Ammonium, and these are pretty useless.) and test the water. Fin clamping is often a classic sign of an ammonia spike, as is ulceration etc.
It was tested about a week ago and not much has changed since, other fish seem fine, but I'll go get some results now and put them up anyway just to check.
I'm told they're changing water weekly, but when it's not my tank it's hard to be 100% it's being done right.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect timing, ammonia kit has run out! I did a nitrite and nitrate, nitrite has no readable amount, nitrate is at 5ppm, possibly a touch over. They were given brine shrimp a few days ago which may have caused a spike, and I assume these results support that the tank has dealt with a spike recently, since nitrate is usually a fair bit lower.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I take it then there's some form of denitrifying resin or sponge on there then as that's really low. lol

If it is normally much lower then yeah, could be there's been a spike. The brine shrimp, were they frozen ones or live? If frozen did it take the fish a while to eat them? Another thing that can cause spikes is if a fish dies and doesn't get found. Big disturbances of the substrate can sometimes cause a spike as well if it releases a lot of organic matter.

One other possibility is that the platy has been in a fight, but most illness and problems in fish can usually be traced back to a blip in the water quality, or large temperature changes. The rest are usually either disease introduced on new fish, chemicals getting into the tank or bullying/aggression.

Ade

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it then there's some form of denitrifying resin or sponge on there then as that's really low. lol

If it is normally much lower then yeah, could be there's been a spike. The brine shrimp, were they frozen ones or live? If frozen did it take the fish a while to eat them? Another thing that can cause spikes is if a fish dies and doesn't get found. Big disturbances of the substrate can sometimes cause a spike as well if it releases a lot of organic matter.

One other possibility is that the platy has been in a fight, but most illness and problems in fish can usually be traced back to a blip in the water quality, or large temperature changes. The rest are usually either disease introduced on new fish, chemicals getting into the tank or bullying/aggression.

Ade
No denitrifying going on, it's just a good filter I think, there is only readable amounts when a fish dies, lot's of water changes too. There's been no new fish for 3 months, a few new shrimp and a plant last week, but I don't think they can carry fish parasites? Fin rot I believe can live on fish for ages and not cause issues, so I guess it could still be that, I've not seen clamped fins in fin rot though.
The brine was live, but I think that could cause at least some if there were dead brine in the tank.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hi,best thing to do is a good gravel vac (if you have gravel in there) a water change and add some esha 2000.Fantastic stuff it is and will not harm any invertibrates or fry as long as it is used at the correct dosage.It will also get rid of any planaria which can cause problems.I have used it for years and add it once a week after my routine water changes.Since i have been using it i have had no illnesses and no deaths.I breed bristlenoses and used to lose a good percentage of fry each batch but don't anymore.Bristlenose fry are very sensitive also and are scaleless but the esha 2000 does no harm at all to them.I highly recommend it,it has been a god send to me and i swear by it.I also use esha optima after every water change and my fish are extremely healthy and grow well.I know people don't like adding stuff and i never did either.I used to hate the thought of adding anything to my tanks but i had an outbreak of white spot once and had to use meds.I tried esha exit on a recommendation and it was the best stuff i ever used.I will use nothing else now other than esha products.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.