Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...when it comes to never ever again leaving a f/t large weaner rat in a warm rub overnight in the hope that my stubborn royal might eat it in private.

:censor:...:eek:mg:...:eek4:......:sick:

To anyone who has ever replied to one of those 'HELP my snake won't eat' threads with something similar to "just leave it in the rub with them over night and it'll be gone by morning" I officially curse you! :devil:

I woke up yesterday morning to my house smelling like death (and from someone in an occupation where I have smelt it many times, that is the closest smell to a dead body that I have encountered).
Have only just managed to get rid of the smell this morning. Had to cancel mates coming over last night for poker night because the OH was away and I could imagine them coming in thinking I'd killed her and buried her under the floorboards!

But anyway...I'm over it now and have certainly learnt my lesson, I will never EVER again leave a large rat weaner in a rub overnight again...and don't suggest anyone else does either!

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
...when it comes to never ever again leaving a f/t large weaner rat in a warm rub overnight in the hope that my stubborn royal might eat it in private.

:censor:...:eek:mg:...:eek4:......:sick:

To anyone who has ever replied to one of those 'HELP my snake won't eat' threads with something similar to "just leave it in the rub with them over night and it'll be gone by morning" I officially curse you! :devil:

I woke up yesterday morning to my house smelling like death (and from someone in an occupation where I have smelt it many times, that is the closest smell to a dead body that I have encountered).
Have only just managed to get rid of the smell this morning. Had to cancel mates coming over last night for poker night because the OH was away and I could imagine them coming in thinking I'd killed her and buried her under the floorboards!

But anyway...I'm over it now and have certainly learnt my lesson, I will never EVER again leave a large rat weaner in a rub overnight again...and don't suggest anyone else does either!

Hahahhahaa was it on the warm side ???? I came down to one once that had been dragged to heatmat......by christ it was awful, it was all swelled up like a balloon too *heave*

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you leave it in the warm end?
Hahahhahaa was it on the warm side ???? I came down to one once that had been dragged to heatmat......by christ it was awful, it was all swelled up like a balloon too *heave*
Yes it was the warm end...I'm sure I could almost see the smell lines rising from it like in a cartoon (Dennis the Menace's socks spring to mind!)

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
not a lot you can do if your snake is an overnight leave feeder, but leave it cool end, and well it's just something you have to learn to live with, unfortunately.

·
Registered
75 Posts
((Cough cough.. Tries really really hard not to laugh)) :whistling2:

I remember putting our Milk Snakes food in the warm end once & once only :lol2: I woke up to the most almighty stentch of death.. It took me all day to get rid of the smell... :sick: :eek:mg: :sick:

(Being one of those who's been officially cursed ((chuckles again)) in my defence, i did put on my reply to a thred, that i put the food at the cool end :Na_Na_Na_Na::lol2:)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only reason I left it hot end was because i thought that way it'd attract her to it a bit more...clearly not! Lol

Where were you lot before I made this awful decision lol

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
((Cough cough.. Tries really really hard not to laugh)) :whistling2:

I remember putting our Milk Snakes food in the warm end once & once only :lol2: I woke up to the most almighty stentch of death.. It took me all day to get rid of the smell... :sick: :eek:mg: :sick:

(Being one of those who's been officially cursed ((chuckles again)) in my defence, i did put on my reply to a thred, that i put the food at the cool end :Na_Na_Na_Na::lol2:)
Thanks for stifling your laughter and sparing my blushes :blush: I appreciate your compassion lol

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Ha! You live you learn, I once put a rat weaners on the radiator to heat it up a bit left the room forgot about it... That smell crept downstairs when I finally caught a whiff an legged it upstairs the rat had split in half on the heat leaving stomach and intestines to run all down the radiator and crisp on. Two separate stinking halves of rat left a nice stain on the carpet. The mrs was not impressed at all.

Lesson learnt the make your own tea I'm going out way :(

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I left a couple of large rats on the radiator in my snake room once and nipped out for a quick pint. When i got home at 3 in the morning the stench was horrific, took forever to get rid of it.

The good things is that i learnt my lesson. I now keep a few cans of stella in the fridge at all times in case i get thirsty before feeding time!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah i can imagine this smell would be rather bad, half expecting the snake to be sitting on the outside of the rub the following morning waiting for you to clean out the mess lol
Yea to be fair when I lifted up her hide she looked pretty p:censor:d off as if to say wtf! Lol
Looked a bit less annoyed after I cleaned her out and gave her a bath, enough to take a jumbo mouse and break her 7 week fast :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
haha i did this the other week when we had hot weather.
left a 200g ish rat in my royals viv from the afternoon till morning(cold side) did not notice the smell till i opened the door, then got slapped in the face with the smell of dead rat

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I left a couple of large rats on the radiator in my snake room once and nipped out for a quick pint. When i got home at 3 in the morning the stench was horrific, took forever to get rid of it.

The good things is that i learnt my lesson. I now keep a few cans of stella in the fridge at all times in case i get thirsty before feeding time!
done that with a few mice i left on the radiator before, had to peel them off the radiator by the time I found them :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.