Reptile Forums banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

So just a quick question regarding my thermostat probe placement, I know it cant be on the substrate in case the snake lays on it or moves it etc...so is where I have it placed acceptable?

Note the tape isn't permanent im just playing around with it at the moment.

·
Registered
33,042 Posts

So just a quick question regarding my thermostat probe placement, I know it cant be on the substrate in case the snake lays on it or moves it etc...so is where I have it placed acceptable?

Note the tape isn't permanent im just playing around with it at the moment.
Try putting it through the upper vent, & let it hang, just above the substrate.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Try putting it through the upper vent, & let it hang, just above the substrate.
^^^^ this.

Probe placement is covered in the sticky post on heating at the top of the forum. I know you are just setting things up, but I hope you have a suitable guard for the heater so that the snake can't gain access to the element.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
^^^^ this.

Probe placement is covered in the sticky post on heating at the top of the forum. I know you are just setting things up, but I hope you have a suitable guard for the heater so that the snake can't gain access to the element.
I have it through the top vent now, is it ok to fasten the probe to the back of the viv? I just think it looks neater.

Yeah I have a guard coming, funny you should say it actually as I just burned my wrist changing the probe!

I also plan on uploading pics of the viv with things in it just to get some opinions feedback of my setup! probably do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So here are a few pics of my setup

This one is basically just an overview of the whole viv, I have a hide under the heater, ahollow piece of cork bark in the middle and a coconut hide on the branch, I also plan on getting another hide for the ground area on the cool side.

Im also going to get some fake plants and greenery too.

The next one is just my positioning of the thermostat and thermometer probe, I have the thermostat probe dangling down from the top vent as suggested with the probe of the digital thermometer on top of the hide, the temps on top of the hide are around 88 Fahrenheit, the cool side ground temps are 73 ish rising to about 76 - 77 higher up towards the coconut, im measuring these temps with an IR thermometer gun by the way.

And the last one is just a side view

So any thoughts on the setup? Anything I can add or improve on? Are the temps okay etc...?

·
Registered
33,042 Posts
So here are a few pics of my setup

This one is basically just an overview of the whole viv, I have a hide under the heater, ahollow piece of cork bark in the middle and a coconut hide on the branch, I also plan on getting another hide for the ground area on the cool side.

Im also going to get some fake plants and greenery too.

The next one is just my positioning of the thermostat and thermometer probe, I have the thermostat probe dangling down from the top vent as suggested with the probe of the digital thermometer on top of the hide, the temps on top of the hide are around 88 Fahrenheit, the cool side ground temps are 73 ish rising to about 76 - 77 higher up towards the coconut, im measuring these temps with an IR thermometer gun by the way.

And the last one is just a side view

So any thoughts on the setup? Anything I can add or improve on? Are the temps okay etc...?
I'd reduce the basking temp to 82. Otherwise it all looks fine.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
It's getting there. Once a guard is fitted, and a few plastic plants have been added it will be ideal for the snake.

Just one observation. It looks like you've used a plastic ES lamp socket to hold the ceramic. IF this is the case then that should be changed for the proper ceramic fitment. Whilst the heater is under thermostatic control, if the stat should fail they tend to fail in the ON position. A ceramic heater if left to run direct from mains has the potential to melt the plastic and that's a fire risk.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The guard for the heater is essential - I know you said you were getting one, but just to re-emphasise, this must be in place before you get the snake.

I'd say you're wasting a lot of usable space by not having more climbing branches. You could also incorporate some elevated hides if you wanted, but much larger, taller branches would be a great addition for a start.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The guard is on now.

Im having a hard time finding bigger branches to be honest, what do you think of taking the two I have and placing them both down the cool side and building a higher climbing spot down that end of the viv?

Im picking the snake up wednesday so I'll what else I can pick up then.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The guard is on now.

Im having a hard time finding bigger branches to be honest, what do you think of taking the two I have and placing them both down the cool side and building a higher climbing spot down that end of the viv?

Im picking the snake up wednesday so I'll what else I can pick up then.
Absolutely fine. Would probably be better than the current layout.

Remember you don't have to buy branches in a reptile store, you can collect them from local woods.

Exciting times, enjoy getting the snake on Wednesday.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I never considered getting branches from outside on account of what might be on them, chemicals, parasites etc...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I never considered getting branches from outside on account of what might be on them, chemicals, parasites etc...
You can use a strong solution of F10 disinfectant and (if it fits) bake the branch on a low heat in an oven to kill off any bugs.

Ideal branches are from fruit trees. Avoid pine trees as their sap is sticky and can be an annoyance to the snakes skin.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The risks appear to be massively over-stated. As Malc says, there are precautionary steps you can take, but many people don't do anything to them at all - just collect and place in viv. Those who succeed with the latter approach are just sensible about where they collect from - for example proper wild woodland as opposed to parks or anywhere intensively managed.

If I were kitting out a viv now, I wouldn't hesitate to collect branches from the woods.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I got my snake!

However, I opted to put him in a fuanarium to start with as he's so small. I mean he's smaller than I anticipated to be honest and id be terrified of an escape, at the size he is now I don't think id trust anything I did to make it escape proof.

The person I bought off of told me he could also potentially get into the ceramic guard which really worried me, I then had another person from my local pet shop tell me they had a similar snake escape on them from a vivarium, never to be seen again.

As soon as I feel he can't get through and holes or cracks I'll leave him to the main viv.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Enjoy having him! What did you go for in the end?

Fair enough re the faunarium. Escapes are a very real risk and they're also easier to locate and monitor in smaller spaces.

·
Premium Member
5 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,004 Posts
So I got my snake!

However, I opted to put him in a fuanarium to start with as he's so small. I mean he's smaller than I anticipated to be honest and id be terrified of an escape, at the size he is now I don't think id trust anything I did to make it escape proof.

The person I bought off of told me he could also potentially get into the ceramic guard which really worried me, I then had another person from my local pet shop tell me they had a similar snake escape on them from a vivarium, never to be seen again.

As soon as I feel he can't get through and holes or cracks I'll leave him to the main viv.

That's a good idea, tiny Corn snakes can also wiggle through the gap between the 2 glass sliding doors, he'll soon grow big enough to put into the viv.
Check the temps on top of the viv running as there will be a hot spot above the lamp on the top - parts of it will be too hot mind. I've used that in the past to keep snakes warm and currently have my spiders on my viv tops in various places.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Enjoy having him! What did you go for in the end?

Fair enough re the faunarium. Escapes are a very real risk and they're also easier to locate and monitor in smaller spaces.
I ended up getting a pied blood het anery hypo, male.

As it turned out they didn't have the type I originally picked, which was a cinder, to be honest it didn't really matter to me if it was a fancy morph or not.

That's a good idea, tiny Corn snakes can also wiggle through the gap between the 2 glass sliding doors, he'll soon grow big enough to put into the viv.
Check the temps on top of the viv running as there will be a hot spot above the lamp on the top - parts of it will be too hot mind. I've used that in the past to keep snakes warm and currently have my spiders on my viv tops in various places.
I have the fuanarium inside the viv down towards the cool end, I have it resting on about 1/3 of a small heat mat, I have the thermostat probe for the heat mat taped down to the mat itself on the outside of the funarium, then I have an exo terra digital thermometer pinned down inside the faunarium on the hot side just under a little substrate, hot side reaching about 29 - 30 degrees, cool end low 70's, this set up okay?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the fuanarium inside the viv down towards the cool end, I have it resting on about 1/3 of a small heat mat, I have the thermostat probe for the heat mat taped down to the mat itself on the outside of the funarium, then I have an exo terra digital thermometer pinned down inside the faunarium on the hot side just under a little substrate, hot side reaching about 29 - 30 degrees, cool end low 70's, this set up okay?
Sounds perfect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Also the person i bought him from said its been a week since he last ate and is due a feed and told me to try in 48hrs, should i try or give him more time?

21 - 40 of 140 Posts