Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mountain Kingsnake appears to be constipated. It has a bit of a bulge around its middle and there appears to be no faeces in its viv in spite of the fact that its appetite is as good as it ever was. I read that castor oil was the cure but apparently this is no longer available, the closest equivalent being liquid paraffin. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am no expert, quiet a newbie in fact, having read other posts it seems a warm bath is a good idea, however i would wait for more educated members if the forum to confirm this.

Slapshot

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Liquid parafin is often useful in constipation in mammals but i have never heard of it being used in snakes. I agree with the previous post - try bathing the snake in warm water a few times. If this doesnt help a vets visit may be neccessary as he may be impacted.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd give him a bath (luke warm water - just deep enough to cover his body) every 3 days for about 30 mins at a time - if he hasn't passed any hard stools (have a feel of them!) after about 4 baths, or if the bulge gets larger or if his behaviour changes, get him to the vet.

What has he been eating? Might be an idea to move down a size - smaller rodents will be easier to digest and less stress on his system.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
great advice mark :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately the snake died. I put him in a container of warm shallow water, checked him after 15 mins and found he was dead. I performed an autopsy, in the interests of science, and found some faecal matter, which caused the bulge. It was soft and not impacted, further down the intestine, there appeared to be some sort of growth/tumour. I don't like losing an animal but it was sods law that it would have to be my personal favourite. He received a decent burial, next to the rabbit, in the back garden. So does anyone know of anyone who has any mountain kings for sale [Zonata or pyromelana].

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(
Nothing you could have done in that case.

Anyway, Cambridge Reptiles have got an Arizona Mountain king in there at the moment - £75, don't know what sex though. Dunno how old but looked about 2 - 2.5ft long.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry to hear it didnt make it mate :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts