Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I built a setup consisting of a 45x45x45 exo terra. Fully planted with a rich bioactive substrate, oak leaf litter etc.

False water table for the plants below the substrate, homemade misting system which kicks in 1st thing in the morning and last thing at 'night' (for 10 minutes before the UV switches off)

The ambiant temps sit between 24/28 degrees atm however this can be lowered/raised easily enough. The humidity sits between 80/nigh on 100% dependant on the level of water in my 'table' and the length of time I run the mister for.

Before I get anything Im going to add more to the viv, including more hides/plants/ building up features for the walls.

It was initially designed for a tiny species of snake from Indonesia, however my friends shipment went to pot and this didn't come to fruition.

I've been contemplating Blue & Bronze poison dart frogs and Dyeing poison dart frogs.

Preferably I'd like a nice, active species. I've got a lot of experience with snakes/lizards yet the only thing I've done regarding amphibs is building a fully planted setup for my little brothers FBT's.

Any recommendations on species to consider or changes to my current setup would be appreciated :) I'll pop pics up of my setup and the setup I built for my bro, however my photography skills are crap. They look a lot better in the real life.

Thanks a lot guys and girls!

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you are just starting with darts I would go with Epipedobates anthonyi as they are really easy to care for and breed (although they are sold everywhere so not sure how easy it is to sell). With that sized terrarium its not really tall enough for any thumbnails but a couple of tincs would go in as they don't need height.
Also check that the terrarium is fly proofed as otherwise you will have a room full of the little buggers :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are just starting with darts I would go with Epipedobates anthonyi as they are really easy to care for and breed (although they are sold everywhere so not sure how easy it is to sell). With that sized terrarium its not really tall enough for any thumbnails but a couple of tincs would go in as they don't need height.
Also check that the terrarium is fly proofed as otherwise you will have a room full of the little buggers :)
I flyproof all of my vivs now, especially exo terras, they're happy enough for a small cricket to escape from.

Cheers for the reply mate, time to plow into the research.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
On a side note, I'm open to suggestions outside of the darts.
Personally mate i think the best idea is to plan & design the viv around the species you intend & would like to work with, rather than trying to find something that suits what you have already built.

Why not stick with darts? Especially as you have designed viv around them already. Have recently got my first darts, but already have golden mantellas (Mantella aurantiaca). Highly recommend these btw.
Or something like Dendrobates auratus, Dendrobates tinctorius azureus, D.leucomas or i can highly recommend these Phyllobates terriblis.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The viv wasn't built around darts and I'm not just going to throw them in there's more building to be done ;)

I'm looking at what species could go in there to focus my crazy build ;)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Get some pics up Add,maybe pop in sometime see some frogs,Ron's kind link above will give some insight into what you might see here and we live between the localities where you reside

Stu

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

There's some pics, not the best photographer but hey ho! Ambient temps sit between 24 and 26 degrees when the canopy is on and at night it drops down to between 18-20. Humidity sits between 80-100% dependant on the level of water in the table and the time I run the mister.

Thanks for the kind invite mate I'm only halfway through the epic thread!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
It shouldn't mate ,we are fewer in number hence take longer to get there,nowt to worry on kiddo.:2thumb:

Addy first up went back over the thread,I hand mist as you possibly know,but a misting system on for ten mins,is that right,or do you mean it comes on ten mins before lights out,maybe for a few seconds. Mate a personal comment on the viv,I like the idea of the crisscross of climbing frames,but the wood is so straight it looks totally unnatural to my eyes,a personal opinion bro.nothing more. Addy you've already been given a few cool ,so called easier types of dart,what i'd say is choose the species/morph you really like the most.

Next up if you are def going for darts,hammer the culturing now,possibly start with woodlice as they are slowest to build numbers,beyond that have at the very least have springtails FF and woodlice sorted before you get frogs,,personally I'd avoid crix as a feeder. there are others to assess,but I'd want those 3 down first.

Stu

Reactions: Addymk2

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It shouldn't mate ,we are fewer in number hence take longer to get there,nowt to worry on kiddo.:2thumb:

Addy first up went back over the thread,I hand mist as you possibly know,but a misting system on for ten mins,is that right,or do you mean it comes on ten mins before lights out,maybe for a few seconds. Mate a personal comment on the viv,I like the idea of the crisscross of climbing frames,but the wood is so straight it looks totally unnatural to my eyes,a personal opinion bro.nothing more. Addy you've already been given a few cool ,so called easier types of dart,what i'd say is choose the species/morph you really like the most.

Next up if you are def going for darts,hammer the culturing now,possibly start with woodlice as they are slowest to build numbers,beyond that have at the very least have springtails FF and woodlice sorted before you get frogs,,personally I'd avoid crix as a feeder. there are others to assess,but I'd want those 3 down first.

Stu
Awesome response. It's a fogger, not a mister sorry my bad! Runs for 10 minutes, humidity peaks obviously when this is on but then levels off at between 80. And 95% ish.

The woods a lot more natural looking in real life, it's dried out willow that I took a saw too!

I'm already culturing springtails and curly wing flies (geckos) so I'll get on the woodlice this weekend.
Cheers for the response mate much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Cool lets go a bit further then,have you got both mels and hydei? Which will often give you a more constant supply as well as the mels being more suited to smaller species/younger frogs. Kiddo you possibly know all this ,but it's worth throwing out there. As far as vits go by far most of us use repashy Ca plus as a base daily ff dust,some folks add in other products such as Vit A(not more than once every two weeks) also superpig often features in many rotations.
seeya

Stu

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool lets go a bit further then,have you got both mels and hydei? Which will often give you a more constant supply as well as the mels being more suited to smaller species/younger frogs. Kiddo you possibly know all this ,but it's worth throwing out there. As far as vits go by far most of us use repashy Ca plus as a base daily ff dust,some folks add in other products such as Vit A(not more than once every two weeks) also superpig often features in many rotations.
seeya

Stu
I'm culturing both to see which I'm more successful with and then going from there.

As far as nutrients go I dust with Repashy as is and have a stock pile of that.

Cheers again for the advice, I'll do some additive shopping this weekend!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I'm culturing both to see which I'm more successful with and then going from there.

As far as nutrients go I dust with Repashy as is and have a stock pile of that.

Cheers again for the advice, I'll do some additive shopping this weekend!
be good with both bro,mels seem to do well a bit cooler,so as the seasons vary it's just handy to have both on the go(plus differing hatch times),have a dig about for turks....turkish glider mel. Probably the most productive fly, but they need quick hands to stop escapees. Don't buy any other vits until frogs Addy,six month shelf life in fridge is our ethos,then bung and replace.

Stu

Reactions: Addymk2

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
the ones i got from advanced husbandry appear to be turkish gliders stu, they arnt half fast and ping about
maybe bro I didn't study just nabbed a new iso. I know the most important bit is to isolate any new cultures bought in ,learnt that the hard way buddy:bash:

Stu

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.