Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Aquariums/fish tanks that i would like to convert terrariums, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Obviously I'd need a tight fitting mesh lid - but where's the best place to get it and whats the best type of mesh to use?

the biggest tank is - 100x29x41 cm with a lid (with large gaps but working light) - was hoping to use this for 2/3 Garters... would 3 be too crowded?
and the second is - 60x30x30 cm

neither tank has the extra bits of glass, where the condensation plate usually sits in older aquarium units, so would this effect construction??

I did try to find ready made conversion "kits" - similar to rodent tank lids, with no luck

feel free to post pics of one's you done yourself or of any ideas...

Thanks in advance:2thumb:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Clearseal make various sizes of viv lids. There is defo one for the 60 x 30 x 30 available but not the larger one (as far as i know).

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have 2 Aquariums/fish tanks that i would like to convert terrariums, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas?
Obviously I'd need a tight fitting mesh lid - but where's the best place to get it and whats the best type of mesh to use?

the biggest tank is - 100x29x41 cm with a lid (with large gaps but working light) - was hoping to use this for 2/3 Garters... would 3 be too crowded?
and the second is - 60x30x30 cm

neither tank has the extra bits of glass, where the condensation plate usually sits in older aquarium units, so would this effect construction??

I did try to find ready made conversion "kits" - similar to rodent tank lids, with no luck

feel free to post pics of one's you done yourself or of any ideas...

Thanks in advance:2thumb:
Generally the downside to converting aquariums to vivs is the airflow is very poor and stale air tends to be at the bottom -where your snakes are- and they are difficult to keep warm as heat just leaches out of them. I kept a big mangrove in an all glass jobbie thinking it would be great because it would never rot from high humidity, it was a nightmare to heat even after it was insulated with cork. Now I just use it to store odds and sods and the mangrove is in a wooden viv.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I started off my Mexi Black King in an old aquarium. Didn't quite seal it off properly and he was on the loose within half an hour of getting home. Needless to say my mum's face was a sight to beyhold when I told her. I found him eventually in my wardrobe.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Generally the downside to converting aquariums to vivs is the airflow is very poor and stale air tends to be at the bottom -where your snakes are- and they are difficult to keep warm as heat just leaches out of them. I kept a big mangrove in an all glass jobbie thinking it would be great because it would never rot from high humidity, it was a nightmare to heat even after it was insulated with cork. Now I just use it to store odds and sods and the mangrove is in a wooden viv.
I started off my Mexi Black King in an old aquarium. Didn't quite seal it off properly and he was on the loose within half an hour of getting home. Needless to say my mum's face was a sight to beyhold when I told her. I found him eventually in my wardrobe.
i was gonna use some large pieces of polystyrene on the sides and back to help insulate the tanks. if i had those strips on the side for a condensation tray I'd lay a piece of glass across the top with some large mess sides for ventilation... plus with the glass on the top the heat wouldn't disperse quit so quickly... well, in theory

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any body got any idea's on where i'd be able to get a very fine metal screen mesh to top some of my tanks?

·
Registered
588 Posts
any body got any idea's on where i'd be able to get a very fine metal screen mesh to top some of my tanks?
I got mine from a local hardware shop and I'm sure that I've seen it at B&Q or Homebase.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
IMO, mesh isn't any good for aquarium lids. There is too much heat loss. I've had good luck with pegboard that's been reinforced/stiffened with wooden strips and painted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts