Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi boys and girls.
im thinking of moving to boa constrictors.
if some one could help me with the genes that are available and a price guide of morphs of co-dominant and dominant over £800.
also a breeding instructions,
thanks people,

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
^^^^^^
Cracking book : victory:

·
Premium Member
16,512 Posts
a sensible move to real snakes - :welcome:

Reactions: Artisan

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
sounds like a wise decision :)

Facebook- boaddiction group is worth joining
kingsnake.com- give you an idea of boas/prices stateside
reptile insider- us alternative to rfuk

Boa's are a bit different to say the likes of royals, common boa's (bci) are divided into different localities or regions, the majority of morphs are focussed around colombian bci and central american bci.

Beyond this there are locality dwarf bci's such a sonoran/crawl cay/nicaraguan etc. These are smaller variants that also come in various morphs. For example you can get sonoran boa's that are hypo/anery type 2/leopard.

Vincent russo's book is an excellent reference and an uncomplicated read that gives a great insight into most aspects of boa keeping/breeding/health/identification.

Morphwise +£800 gives you a few options, but I would firstly consider which type of boas you want to keep and possibly aim to breed. If space is a premium then maybe focus on some of the dwarf locality boas, maybe you are looking at boa constrictors other that bci such as ATB, or BCC (true red tails).

You also need to consider whether you are wanting neonates/grown on or adults. Proven adults also cost more due to their breeding success.

As you asked about morphs I will focus on what I think you mean (BCI). You could be looking nice junglow (sunglow jungle- hypo/albino/jungle),sunglow motley, snow (albino/anery), Blood boas, leopards, paradigm, t+ sunglows, VPI T+.

These are a combination of incomplete dominant and recessive genetic traits. the likes of hypo/jungle/motley have super forms (some with issues).

Within the morphs there are also different lines for example salmon is a line of hypomelanistic boa's and Gee is another, both are genetically compatible but through line breeding show subtle differences. Others such a kahl/sharp albino look similar (both being recessive and producing white boas) but are not compatible.

hope this helps a little
: victory:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts