Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My corn has escaped twice in the last 5 days, i have no idea how he keeps doing it, luckily i have found him both times chilling on the chest of drawers that his viv is on, he is about 6 months old or so i was told, and he is in a 3 foot viv that is full of hides and fake plants and he seems to love it in there, i just have no idea how he keeps escaping, at first i thought it was through a hole in the vent so i sorted that now he has gotten out again i dont understand how, good he be squeezing through the panes of glass at the front???

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Yes he could, they are amazingly good at doing so. Also, is there a gap where your thermostat probe goes in to the viv?

Glad you have found him both times and hope you can stop the escape. I fold card to put between the glass for smaller corns.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
It may look a bit messy, but one thing I have used before is to hold a strip of one of the plastic bits that hold the glass in place in the viv, the runner thing, stuck on to the edge of the glass with sellotape. This effectively makes a seal between the two sliding doors but still allows you to slide them open. As I said, it may look a bit messy, but it does stop the snake from escaping!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
If you put your corn in a suitable enclosure it will stop escaping. If it can get out then the viv it's in is unsuitable.

spending around £5 on a platic tub will solve this issue completely. Put the snake back in the viv when it's big enough. Problem solved.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a hole where the probe comes in but that is covered with blue tac and at hasnt been pushd thru or anything, mason i understand where you are coming from and i know that would be a simple solution and wuld solve the problem but i would really like to find out how he was escaping and prevent it as i like to see him in his large viv

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be ok put cling film along the 2 glass panes where they cross over therefor stopping him getting through

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
He is almost certainly getting out between the glass panes.

This is why sliding glass vivariums are NOT appropriate housing for a young, slender snake.

Tub him until he's too big to escape, or sort out the glass with some sort of draft excluder.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
And what if he gets himself tangled up in the cling film if he is getting through the pane gap and suffocates or injures itself. just do the sensible thing that has already been suggested and buy a cheap plastic container with very small holes drilled. 3 foot viv is far too big for a 6 month corn.

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
It may look a bit messy, but one thing I have used before is to hold a strip of one of the plastic bits that hold the glass in place in the viv, the runner thing, stuck on to the edge of the glass with sellotape. This effectively makes a seal between the two sliding doors but still allows you to slide them open. As I said, it may look a bit messy, but it does stop the snake from escaping!
Please do not ever use sellotape in a snake's viv

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the cling film would be on the outside of the viv but i do understand where you are coming from, i will try an get him a large tub as he likes his large viv so dont want to move him into something too small

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have used 2ft vivs for juvenile corns with no problems. The key is to block the gap between the glass sliding doors for the 18 months or so. I don't use the draught excluder stuff since anything that is adhesive can stick onto the animal. I use a piece of thick folded card.

Also check the air vents. If they have big gaps then it is necessary to also cover these with some perforated card/plastic.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I have used 2ft vivs for juvenile corns with no problems. The key is to block the gap between the glass sliding doors for the 18 months or so. I don't use the draught excluder stuff since anything that is adhesive can stick onto the animal. I use a piece of thick folded card.

Also check the air vents. If they have big gaps then it is necessary to also cover these with some perforated card/plastic.
That is exactly what I do and have never had an escapee yet

·
Registered
573 Posts
A good tip I got off someone here a while back (sorry can't remember who) suggested using slide binders. The plastic spines you use for holding together paper into a book style.

If you get the small ones they easily slip over the glass preventing escape and they can be cut to measure :2thumb:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the help people!!!

i just had a bit of a go with a petshop worker lol i went in to buy a heat mat for a viv and he said why ar e you buying a mat for a viv, i said what you mean and he said heat mats arent to be used for wooden vivs because if you but them underneath th eheat wont get thru and if you put them inside there is a safety hazard, i got a bit pissed with hm and brought the mat anyway

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
The shop worker is half right.

A heat mat inside a viv CAN pose a safety hazard if it is not correctly sealed underneath a false floor - this is because they are not moisture proof and if your snake spills water or pees on it, it can short out the mat or electrocute the snake.

Heat from a mat most certainly CAN get through the wood underneath.

Do you ALSO have a thermostat for that heat mat?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yer i have a 300w stat, my bulb is running off it at the moment but got jus gt a mat as the bulb keep flicking on and off is duin my head in and thought buyin a mat would be cheaper than buying a dimmer stat

·
Registered
306 Posts
I may be wrong, but if you are using a pulse stat (Light flicking on and off), isn't that unsuitable for a mat?? I don't know a lot about stats, but I'm pretty sure you need a mat stat...

Livefood UK Ltd.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Mats can be used with any stat type.

It's only bulbs that MUST be used with a Dimmer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts