Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just aftergetting my boa, i was asked if i want a 13yr old corn. so as u can probabley imagine, i said yes.
Then when i got it the ex owner said they have been giving it 1 rat every 6 weeks??????
Im sure this isnt right, but we tryed it on the rat they gave me with it. it was bigger than the snakes widest point witch i know corns can do if there hungary, but i dont think it can be good for him. it took him about 30 mins to get it in. this was on tuesday, its now friday and you can still see the rat in his stomach almost the same size as on tuesday! is this right? It also came in a 3ft viv with a 6" by 11" heat mat to heat the hole thing!!!!!
Ive SCRUBBED the hole viv but it still smells as it hadnt been cleaned for god knows how long.

anyway, i was gonna leave it a few weeks and try giving it a few mice every couple of weeks as i dont want it dying as its not used to eating as it should.

Sorry for the long thred, i just want the best for the little fella as he hasnt had a great life :( till now :D

o, hes about 3 1/2 ft and around 6" i diamiter.

o and sorry about spelling :oops:

any thoughts would be great

cheers

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I'd give him a smaller rat weekly.. something which looks like it will fit in better.. better to give them smaller regular meals rather than one big meal every few weeks.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What Timmy says.... I feed my Corns rats, but they are of a similar size to what a full grown adult mouse would be, maybe just a lil bigger... Rats, in comparison, are of better nutritional value than what mice are, and like Timmy says, it is more beneficial to the snake to have regular small meals than one HUGE one every few weeks...
Steve

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i know someone that feeds corns only on rats, whereas i am the opposite, i will try my best not to let them get onto rats.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i said i was gonna feed it every few weeks, its because i was recomended to do so as it could kill the snake if it starts to eat that often after so long of eating every 6 weeks. thats why i said a few mice every few weeks rather than every week.

i think il leave it a few weeks (as i can still see the last rat still there :( ) and try it on small rats.

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I doubt whether you would kill it slider by changing to smaller weekly, all you need to do is watch its weight but you will find if you feed smaller weekly it should be fine, if its not hungry it will leave it anyway, and its not as if you are going to overfeed it, feeding weekly. Just think what they are like in the wild they may not catch any thing for weeks and they could get something everyday. Its an option. I know a corn (2003) I recently got was only fed every 2 weeks and I think its small for age as my yearling is nearly as big and I have increased him to 2 small mice as he cant fit a medium yet due to his size, every 7 days now with no problems. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
so, wot would be a good sized rat to put a 3ft corn on that needs to put some weight on before breeding?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
rat weanlings, they are roughly the same length as a large mouse, but are a heavier meal plus the snake is filling up more on meat and bone instead of mouse fur... It depends on thickness of snake too though, might only need a large rat fuzzy or two...
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts