Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quickie - am sure someone can help

my late 7 corn's eyes went very misty, almost blue the other day but they have cleared up now, her skin doesn't seem that dull but I thought that when their eyes misted over they were in shed? how would I know? sorry if this seems like a dumbass question :blush:

·
Registered
416 Posts
hey, dont worry, she is in shed!...her eyes were blue!...they usually clear then about 2-3 days later shell shed! (mine seem to always take 3 days after blue to shed, it does vary)
make sure your humidity is slighlty raised a bit too!
see if you can catch it happen, its brill!!! goodluck lol

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
my corns eyes have gone from blue to clear today so just waiting now.

mine usually take two days after coming out of the blue

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
same all my snakes eyes blue up and then about 2-3 days after going back to their normal colour then they shed : victory:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do I raise the humidity levels? both my corns are still in the tubs I bought them in as they are only tiny and was told these would be fine for the next few weeks while we build the vivs? they each have a bowl of water in there and are on top of a heat mat which is on a stat of about 84f

·
Registered
195 Posts
our snakes eyes went blue thursday night cleared by sat morning and shed sat afternoon

·
Registered
573 Posts
how do I raise the humidity levels? both my corns are still in the tubs I bought them in as they are only tiny and was told these would be fine for the next few weeks while we build the vivs? they each have a bowl of water in there and are on top of a heat mat which is on a stat of about 84f
Use a mister/spray gun, like ones for plants etc (I use boiled and cooled water). Give the tub a squeeze or two once or twice a day, when you notice they are blue (more important when they have cleared)

make sure there is something roughish they can rub against, a hide or log etc should help them.

good luck and remember to keep it to compare them to others as they grow :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Some people use moss in an empty and cleaned out butter tub, with the lid still on, and a hole for the snake to get into. This allows the snake to go into there for the higher humidity.

I usually give mine a bath once their eyes go black, and raise the humidity to about 80% or higher. I do that by using a water spray bottle. I've never had a problem with that method, and a lot of complete sheds.

When your snake sheds, pick the shed up, and feel the eyes to make sure the eye caps have come off too. You'll be able to do that by rolling the eye of the shed skin between your thumb and index finger.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yep definitely in shed. Like others I've found that mine's eyes will clear after the snake oil blueness, and then they'll shed. When mine are in late shed I'll usually put them in a plastic tub with holes in, and bits of cut up washing-up sponges in which have been soaked in water, and put it half and half between hot and cold areas of the cage. The snake will soak in there for a day or so and when he comes out, be all moisturised and ready to shed in one perfect piece.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I've got an old cricket tub -cleaned it out and put some warm wet moss in it and put the lid backon and put a hole in the side of it - is this ok?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd say so, is the moss scratchy enough to rub itself on and get the skin off ?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i replied to this thread 3 times, and they have all gone? weird, ah well i think most others have covered ererything i will have said.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Their eyes clear about 1 day before they shed, this is ussualy a sign where you should bath them to help them shed :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts