Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all - some help please/advice if possible

We got Alberto our amel corn snake in January this year he (or she - not been sexed) is now approx 7 month old, so he was 4 month old when we got him. We are/were generally lizard people and this is our first snake. He is a lovely little thing.

Viv temps are ok etc and he is feeding and shedding fine. From getting him home have been handling him regularly and been gentle with him, just letting him move through my hand without holding him too tight. He had not been handled at all on leaving the shop and at first he as very very lively but appeared to calm a little once out of his viv and chill out after a couple of weeks. I thought i was making progress and getting him out in the beginning wasn't too much of an issue.

However, since then and four months on every time i go to get him out i have the same confrontational response from him, and its like i've never had him out before! I feel like i'm just not getting anywhere. :banghead: On more than most (but not all) occasions he does calm down a bit once i have out him out but its the getting him out that's a constant battle. I try to gently scoop him up without stressing him out. Today he musked which was obviously very nice but this has never happened before. Not sure whether it was because we'd had our bosc out not long before due to the scent or what. Not sure what is going on or whether he is just temperamental.

And is there an age/point in time where they start to actually like u? I think he doesn't mind me but when i read about people's snakes actually approaching therm to come out that seems like a complete impossibility at this moment in time!

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :snake:

·
Registered
63 Posts
im in the exact same situation buddy, got an 8 month old corn and its a struggle to get him out. he never approaches and that is just down to the size of you. if you had a massive hand be waved in your face, you would run away. all in time he'll mature and once hes big enough to fully protect himself, he should have no qualms about approaching you (if hes used to being handled).

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Some snakes prefer to just be left alone, what I do is never just pull my snakes out, I wait ontil I see them out and about moving and then pull them out, if they are in there hides etc I dont beleive in just going in and grabbing them out, either way I wouldnt worry.
If snakey wants to be left alone let him. : victory:
Each snake has there own personalities and its obv you just got one of the ones that prefers to stay where he is etc,
from the snakes point of view he is seeing you as a antagonist or predator or another potential threat.

I certainly dont see the need to handle every day,

*those are my views*
however many have had great success with it and I am not at all saying it is fact and should be left!!
some people use hooks to tap train them, they associate the hook as a time to come out and not feeding time.
if that makes sense, there are many many ways to deal with it.

Either way It sounds like you have and are doing a good job with him none the less.
I wouldnt worry about it too much.
Some snakes settle, some dont.: victory: in that case you just need it to associate something as a none threat and apply it to something it associates as handline time etc etc
Dont let it get you down ;)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
What is he housed in? I've got to reach in from above to get mine out and as much as I try to scoop him up he still gets a bit freaked but like yours he settles down a bit once he's out. I've had my little guy 6 months now and whilst there's still a lot to do he's getting there. When he's out and active try taking his lid off/opening his door and see if he wants to come out in his own time. I've started doing this with my adult and it has worked wonders for her, she was so timid until very recently, she'd never come out if anyone was there but she's now out more and happy to come out.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Your corn is still young mine were fast trying to get away the older they get they calm down some things can make them more aggressive like new smells air fresheners or something like this might even be as you say other animals ive been bit once or twice when forgot to wash my hands after handleing rats and the dog but now most just climb out of the rubs could also be in shed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.