Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year breeding corn snakes and despite my couple years researching the topic of breeding (i was waiting for my snakes to get to size), i am still not quite sure about something:

My female (carolina) is 4 years old, 5ft 5inches in length and approx 700g in weight. But my male (anery stripe) is nearly 3 years old, 3ft 3inch in length and just over 200g

Will this massive gap in size impact on if they breed or not?

Any help would be great: victory:

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
This is my first year breeding corn snakes and despite my couple years researching the topic of breeding (i was waiting for my snakes to get to size), i am still not quite sure about something:

My female (carolina) is 4 years old, 5ft 5inches in length and approx 700g in weight. But my male (anery stripe) is nearly 3 years old, 3ft 3inch in length and just over 200g

Will this massive gap in size impact on if they breed or not?

Any help would be great: victory:
At the end of the day, it will be up to her whether she lets him or not. She is probably big enough and strong enough to stop him actually mating if she does not want to.

Maybe try putting them together just after she sheds and see how they get on. If he starts 'courting' her then keep an eye on them and see if she lets him... otherwise, I would separate them again personally.

·
Registered
738 Posts
In a word....no.
He won't care what size she is if she's ready. It can be a bit harder for the smaller males if the girls play hard to get because they find it harder to get where they need to be without a little weight advantage!! Just be sure to keep an eye on them.
I had almost exactly the same mating (size wise) last year. He was a persistent little chap and got the job done.

Reactions: Jguzek
1 - 4 of 4 Posts