Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had my corn snake for 8 years now and she has always been happy, healthy, alert and feeding and shedding normally. The only problem is that her vent area is very fatty! She has an enormous custom made vivarium with things to climb, I have tried reducing her food and increasing exercise and even took her to a vet where an x-Ray showed a spinal abnormality at the end of her body before her tail. She is otherwise normal and is very shiny with bright eyes, I just want to ask some advice about the fatty lumps as they just seem to get bigger and there are some more further up her body now too.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Hi, I have had my corn snake for 8 years now and she has always been happy, healthy, alert and feeding and shedding normally. The only problem is that her vent area is very fatty! She has an enormous custom made vivarium with things to climb, I have tried reducing her food and increasing exercise and even took her to a vet where an x-Ray showed a spinal abnormality at the end of her body before her tail. She is otherwise normal and is very shiny with bright eyes, I just want to ask some advice about the fatty lumps as they just seem to get bigger and there are some more further up her body now too.
Best advice... contact the vet that did the initial examination.

None of us here are able to advise. Looking at the X-Rays there is clearly something wrong at the vent area which may be related - that's a guess - Only the vet can truly advise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I have had my corn snake for 8 years now and she has always been happy, healthy, alert and feeding and shedding normally. The only problem is that her vent area is very fatty! She has an enormous custom made vivarium with things to climb, I have tried reducing her food and increasing exercise and even took her to a vet where an x-Ray showed a spinal abnormality at the end of her body before her tail. She is otherwise normal and is very shiny with bright eyes, I just want to ask some advice about the fatty lumps as they just seem to get bigger and there are some more further up her body now too. View attachment 349197 View attachment 349198 View attachment 349199 View attachment 349200
Best advice... contact the vet that did the initial examination.

None of us here are able to advise. Looking at the X-Rays there is clearly something wrong at the vent area which may be related - that's a guess - Only the vet can truly advise
Thank you for your reply, yes I agree that would be best, just was interested to see if anyone here has had any similar experiences!

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
What's her feeding schedule and what are you feeding ? Is she pooping OK?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
That does not look like normal fat. I think there's something seriously wrong there. Does it defecate regularly?Does it get about the enclosure ok? There's a good chance that animal could be in pain. What did the vet say? Looks like there's more than a spinal deformity there although of course I'm no vet.
I would take it to a different vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The fat deposits around the vent are called " corn snake hips", and they are a sign of a very overweight snake. For some reason, some corn snakes tend to store extra fat in that area... how often do you feed her, and what size prey items?
Unfortunately, from what l've seen from other posts of similar snakes, it's almost impossible to loose those. You can certainly get the snake to loose weight by cutting down the size of prey items, and extending the time between feeds - but the "hips" tend to stay.

The spinal abnormalities on X ray are another matter, though, and l'd get back to the vet for advice ( as you've already said ).

·
Premium Member
4 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,013 Posts
My Corn Snake, now 12 years old, was given to me as a hatchling by the breeder as she had spine kinks. She has always eaten and pooed fine. I overfed her - very easy to do with a snake that'll hoover up anything the others leave, and she got very over weight and had fatty lumps around her kinks and vent just like your snake has. I put her on a diet and it has taken years for the fat to go down, she still has some around her vent and kinks although the rest of her body is now as it should be. I feed her 2 weekly on a large mouse, if the mice seem small as they can vary then the next time she'll get 2. I never feed her baby rats as that's how we got to hippo snake in the first place.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This snake is extremely obese. One adult mouse every 3 to 4 weeks until the rest of her slims down, but she is never going to fully lose those hips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That does not look like normal fat. I think there's something seriously wrong there. Does it defecate regularly?Does it get about the enclosure ok? There's a good chance that animal could be in pain. What did the vet say? Looks like there's more than a spinal deformity there although of course I'm no vet.
I would take it to a different vet for a second opinion.
Yes she poos regularly and never had any issues there, she has a large custom built enclosure about 5ft long, 2ft deep and 3ft high with platforms and she enjoys moving round it. I have been worried about her being in pain but the vet said he was sure that wasn’t the case due to her acting completely normally. She is alert with bright eyes and scales and is very happy to be handled. I will take her to another exotic vet and see what they say but for now I will reduce the amount of food I am giving her

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have found a good reptile vet in my area so I will be making an appointment as soon as I can. I will post updates on here if anybody is interested in the outcome! I love my snake and want to make sure I am caring for her in the best way possible!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Odd. On that feeding schedule she shouldn't be so large, much less getting larger. Drop to every 3 for now, but I definitely recommend running some bloodwork to see what's going on because there's something other than your feeding schedule at issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Odd. On that feeding schedule she shouldn't be so large, much less getting larger. Drop to every 3 for now, but I definitely recommend running some bloodwork to see what's going on because there's something other than your feeding schedule at issue.
Yes I will be booking an appointment with a reptile vet to check her over!

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Ok, before you take anyone's advice from postings here, see what your vet has to say. IF it's fat that is related to feeding, putting the snake on a drastic diet of a medium meal once a month won't resolve the problem. A snakes metabolism is not like a humans, as anyone who keeps royals or boa's will know they can fast for months and not lose any weight.

The question will be is does the snake have a quality of life. Just because it eats, sheds poos and does most things snakes do doesn't mean it healthy or isn't in pain. The vet may suggest that it's in the snake's best interest to have it euthanized. Or the diagnosis may be surgery IF the vet feels the deposits need to be removed, however looking at the previous x rays, that may not be an option. Or the vet may simply say carry on with normal weekly feeds, and just let the snake live out the rest of its life as nothing medically can be done. And IF (there are a lot of ifs !!) the cause is just a fat snake through overfeeding then it may well live a shorter life than that of a healthy snake, but it could quite easily live for another decade or more.

So before you take any of the suggestions offered here, take the advice from the one person really qualified to give advice, the trained professional who can actually examine the snake and make a diagnosis - The vet !

Good luck and keep up updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, before you take anyone's advice from postings here, see what your vet has to say. IF it's fat that is related to feeding, putting the snake on a drastic diet of a medium meal once a month won't resolve the problem. A snakes metabolism is not like a humans, as anyone who keeps royals or boa's will know they can fast for months and not lose any weight.

The question will be is does the snake have a quality of life. Just because it eats, sheds poos and does most things snakes do doesn't mean it healthy or isn't in pain. The vet may suggest that it's in the snake's best interest to have it euthanized. Or the diagnosis may be surgery IF the vet feels the deposits need to be removed, however looking at the previous x rays, that may not be an option. Or the vet may simply say carry on with normal weekly feeds, and just let the snake live out the rest of its life as nothing medically can be done. And IF (there are a lot of ifs !!) the cause is just a fat snake through overfeeding then it may well live a shorter life than that of a healthy snake, but it could quite easily live for another decade or more.

So before you take any of the suggestions offered here, take the advice from the one person really qualified to give advice, the trained professional who can actually examine the snake and make a diagnosis - The vet !

Good luck and keep up updated.
Thank you, yes I have an appointment for Friday morning and I won’t be taking any drastic measures until I have been given professional advice. The vet from the x-rays last time did not seem to think there was anything dramatically wrong that would affect her quality of life, so I’m hoping it’s something that I can correct through diet or medical treatment!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have found a good reptile vet in my area so I will be making an appointment as soon as I can. I will post updates on here if anybody is interested in the outcome! I love my snake and want to make sure I am caring for her in the best way possible!
Yes let us know how you get on at the vet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts