Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My juvinille corn has escaped! I know where he has gone too! He seems to have gone down a hole in the floorboards to where the warm pipes are! Any ideas how i can get him to come out? I've tried bribary (works with kid, admittedly they don't hide under the floor though) also tried asking him nicely but he either can't hear or is being ignorant. He's about 2 feet and about 1 year old. How long do i have to find him til i should be really worried?

·
Registered
144 Posts
and a great excuse for a new carpet :D

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Oh no, sorry to hear that :cry:

Mine did exactly the same - escaped and went down a gap in the floorboards in the kitchen. Unless you pull the floorboards up, the other method you can use (which worked for me) is to tempt him out with a mouse.

Firstly, it has to be hungry! Also, make sure the snake is well over half way out before you grab it. You may get bit (feeding strike). Accept it! Hold the snake tight enough so it can't retreat but don't try to pull it out, yoU may harm it. Be patient, eventually it will tire and come forward. Don't let go! If you have a struggle, and eventually let it go, it will be more wary next time.

To help persuade it to come out further, try putting a hide / log over the gap in the floor, then dangle the mouse at the end of this. The snake will hopefully come out of the hole, into the hide, thinking it's still hidden. Then you just pick it up!

If you've grabbed it halfway out and are having a tug of war, put the hide over it's head. It may decide to go forwards rather than backwards.

Don't give up. Mine was gone for a month before we found her. I then grabbed her too early and there was no way she was coming out, and I was worried I'd hurt her, so I let go. She didn't try and come out again for another month after being 'grabbed', but eventually hunger took over, and I coaxed her out using the above tactics.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
sound advice deano, im saying rip the floorboards (only a couple tho, enough to get down for a look) because im a joiner so it would be no problem for me to repair and id be worried about the wee fela!
listen to deano first then if that fails or u cant wait to get him PM me and il talk u through lifting and laying floorboards, ok hows that?
keep us posted on the fugitive ok

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Maybe I was too patient, to be honest, but I knew where she was, saw her head popping out every now and then, and knew she wouldn't starve.

I'm hopeless at DIY, wouldn't have know what to do with the floorboards, didn't know how much I'd need to pull up and was worried I'd hurt her in the process! If you've got the skills, rip em up, if not, try my way for a bit then call Ross!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Just wanna say, dont give up on the wee bugger. They dont know when they're born do they??!!

I lost my babby, went on the wander for 8 weeks...anyway, I tried flour along doorways, bottle traps, plastic bags along the skirtings...all to no avail.

When I did find him, he was outside on the doorstep!! And we live in a 1st floor flat!

He/she will turn up, but dont hold your breath, it could be a while!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:) Thanks guys for all the advice. you guys are seriously the nicest people I've spoken to in ages. I'll keep you posted on jake the runaway. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys. No appearences yet. Ihaven't tried lifting the floor boards yet. I live in rented house and my landlord already hates me so i'm saving that for last resort. Hopefully he'll be hungry soon!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Sit on the floor, for a couple of hours, dangling the mouse over the hole. Tedious, I know, but it will be worth it if he comes home!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'd possibly be ripping up the boards by now after 5 days.

Have you tried turning all the central heating off and then creatng a basking spot somewhere?? This may be a bad idea at this time of year with the low temps but even if he aint hungry he still needs heat to stay alive.

Try putting a reading lamp or something pointing at teh floor near the hole he went down.

Never lost a snake myself but its an idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts