Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Right here we go this sounds as mad as the 1 where he wrapped his snake in tape but this one was an accident !

My brother in law got a baby corn sunday he's all happy and healthy, but to prevent him getting out from climbing up the heat mat wire he taped the wire to the side off the viv. Which I said if he was going to use tape if he had no other choice then to use maskingtape as it's not as strong.

Well he couldn't find the masking tape so he put black tape on it instead and the worst thing happened he got stuck to the tape threw the night.

He wasn't that sure as to how long he had been stuck but he put him in warm water to get the tape off.

But now he's worried because of all the stress the snake as been threw and if any scales came off with it (but incase of that he is going to treat the area so no infection during the healing process will in incure)

So as anyone got any advice off any sort to do with this

Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tapes off now he's just worried about the stress he's been threw and if any scales came off with the tape.
What would be the best advise on that ?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You should be able to tell if scales came off on the tape surely just by looking at the tape???

If he appears okay then I would of thought if you leave him to chill for a few days then he will be okay again. If he feeds next time then thats a pretty good indication that he's quite happy.

At first I thought htis was another joker. :lol: :lol:

$hit happens as they say. As long as we learn from our mistakes. NO NASTY STICKY TAPE IN VIVS!!!!!! EVEN IF IT IS STICKY SIDE DOWN!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Stress theres not alot you can do about, keep him in a quiet dark area for a week or so to calm him down, as for the scales, any missing will be replaced and disapear with his next shed, make sure the area doesn't get infected and he should be fine. I had a columbian rainbow boa who stuck herself to MASKING tape & ripped herself open. Shes now dead. I wouldn't recommend using any sort of tape in a viv. hope this helps :)

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I had something similar happen this year and a hatchling managed to get out of the incubator and got stuck to parcel tape.
After precison cutting (that stuff is sticky!!) and bathing it all came off. The damage to the scales cleared up after one shed.

Just make sure the viv is super clean and give the snake a few days alone to calm down and it will be fine :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Similar thing happened to me when I first got my boa, it was just sellotape I used to stick the stat probe in the right place - thought it would be high up and snakey couldn't reach it ... WRONG!!! With spray the probe (with sellotape) fell down and got on Sakura but it came off OK and took with it a couple of scales. First time she shed I could see where the tape had been but next shed she was perfect again :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Ive also had this happen with a young pinesnake. He actually escaped from the viv and got into a packing box that had tape on (be careful of having anything with tape on it in the room you keep your snakes in!)

I managed to prise it off carefully but he lost a few scales and looked a bit rough for a few days. Snakes shed when their skin is damaged - my pine only took one shed to get back to normal.

Hope things go well!

·
Registered
43 Posts
it happen 2twice to me

he will be ok my corn speddy got stuck twice he lost some scales but after a few sheds he,s ok the 2 time was the worst when we had to take him to the vet to get him to removed it as he had got his head completely covered vet asked when he had last shed about 20 mins before he got stuck so he got a nick name of the black hooded snake at the vets, but it all came off and hes still the nutter of a snake that like's to get stuck in something in his viv

·
Registered
632 Posts
just house him on paper for now so u can keep an eye on the progress of the skin- loose substrate will irritate... the area is going to be sensitive for a while so i'd advise you not to handle for a while :? check for damage between the scales and apart from that fingers crossed he'l be fine! x

oh yeah if hes due a feed... hold back for a few days... u don't wanna add regurgitation to your list :wink:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
dont use olive oil i have been told that it is bad for a snakes skin. i would say to not handle the snake, keep him quiet and in the dark(as already advised) if there is damage to the skin it should clear up with the next shed.
are there any nasty abbrasions? blood seepage anything like that?
a luke warm bath mite also help but leave it for a couple of days to get through shock
gd luck let us no how it goes

·
Registered
43 Posts
speedy that likes being stuck in balck tape

and anything else he can get stuck in

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
hhhmmm that pic looks familiar piggy i wonder where ya got it from,

oh hope ya snake is ok Frank, with a bit of peace n quiet he will soon make afull recovery

·
Registered
43 Posts
the pic

well tigger u seen the pic before u took the piccc !!!!!!! when u were at my house for sunday dinner remberrrrrrrrrrr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts