Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My corn snake has had an on going on and off respiratory infection for a while now, he has been treated with baytril twice but this hast kept it away. He has also stopped eating for a while now and keeps getting a brown scab over his nose. I've had him at the vets this week and I'm scheduled to have samples from his nostrils and lungs on Friday. I was just wondering if anyone has had any previous experience with anything similar? And also if anyone could tell me what the procedure he is having done entails, any risks etc? The vets still don't have a clue why he keeps getting these infections and scab, the temperature is around 30 and the humidity is 40%. Any help would be much appreciated as I am worried.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I'm not too sure on corns as I don't keep them but I have a similar thing with my burm. She keeps getting ri's even though I keep the temps up and keep having to use f10 in a humidifier to help it go but eventually keeps coming back.

Not sure what the scabs could be, possibly a nose rub where he's sliding against the glass maybe? Just kinda guessing with that one.

I hope you get him sorted, try raising the heat by a degree or two and raise the humidity slightly and see if that helps.

I'm sure someone else will come along who has experience with corns and infections and such. Hope you get him sorted though. :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
See if your vet either has access to, or can write you a script for, Fortaz. It's an injectable antibiotic that is usually given as pre-dosed syringes that must be kept frozen unless they are going to immediately be used. I've got a snake with a persistent RI that is currently just chilling in her sinuses, and we're ordering in some Fortaz to give that the boot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have baytryil to try just now until a few days before the procedure, if it is starting to work i have to continue it for over 3 weeks. I was offered the injectable antibiotics every 3 days but I thought samplles would maybe help a lot more as i think the scab on her nose is fungal. It always seems to happen a few weeks before she sheds, then sheds off. Hmm, im so confused. Just want my wee princess better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.