Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our corn is about 5months and loves to be at the top of his viv, 12" on the top of branches where its very cold i'd say, 20 to sub 20 degrees, most of the time. is anyone elses like that? only seems to go on his heat mat after eating and maybe the odd time when he's sleep in his cave,

just i'm thinking he must be feeling the cold.

as night time dips to 15 degrees sometimes and he's still there when i go on him to check!!!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
if ur temp set up correctly then i wouldnt worry,they may not be entirely intelligent creatures but theyre smart enough to move their butts to the warmer end if needs be...!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
temp checked on heat mat 30 degrees. this ok?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Cold Snakes

our corn is about 5months and loves to be at the top of his viv, 12" on the top of branches where its very cold i'd say, 20 to sub 20 degrees, most of the time. is anyone elses like that? only seems to go on his heat mat after eating and maybe the odd time when he's sleep in his cave,

just i'm thinking he must be feeling the cold.

as night time dips to 15 degrees sometimes and he's still there when i go on him to check!!!

I have 2 adult corns in the same viv and both hardly ever move from the cold end, it worried me at 1st but then like someone else said there smart enough to move if its too cold! the hot end is 84f and the cold 74f and they only goto the 84 when they have eaten to aid digestion, i wouldnt worry about it! :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
i have the same thing with 3 of my guys, they all stay at the cold end even after eating! I put their big hide down the hot end and they chose to stay out in the open down the cold end instead. They seem happy so i'll leave them:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Unless my snakes are digesting they're almost always on their cool sides. They go to the warm side to activate enzymes (proteins) that help them carry out processes like digestion - if they don't need the enzymes then it's a waste of energy to be that warm.

Have you seen your corn using the hides, even if only once or twice? It could be they're not snug enough or there's a smell on them or something. If not I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
688 Posts
30 degs C is a bit too much if he's always in a cooler spot. try turning your thermostat down a few degrees and see if he comes down. (you DO have a thermostat don't you???? ;))
That's only 86F which is just about perfect for the warm end.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I always thought 26 degrees was optimum temps for digestion, wish I could remember where I read that but as always you find this information log it in ya brain then forget the source lol.

Mine are at 26 hot end even the babies move away once they've digested their meals.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've always thought for corns the gradient should be about 76 - 86/88, but I'm no expert, just go on what I read.

My corn has a warm side of 29 - 30C and cool side of 24 - 25C. I usually find her right up the warm end after eating and somewhere in the middle otherwise. Possibly ambient temps play a role?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts