Reptile Forums banner

Corn Snake Magician?

776 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Flaming Yahoo 
#1 ·
Right guys. I need to know if this is something anyone else's snake does or if it's just my little nutjob.
So, I've never managed to get pictures of this... Mostly because he always does it at night, and I never manage to get the lights on to take a picture without frightening him.
He's in a large faun, with a plastic mesh roof (the sort with the single large plastic door in the middle, not a large flat)
So, he tests the vents with his nose to try to escape - as can be expected... but sometimes I catch him CLIMBING on his roof. As in, he somehow hooks his ventrals onto the plastic mesh and climbs along the ceiling of the faun!
Has anyone else witnessed this, and is it at all possibly harmful?
I've never witnssed anything like this, even in arboreal snakes.

Cheers for the read

-Ryan

#3 ·
Some of my corns when they were youngsters in faunariums would do this. Amazing how they stay up there. Never very good at getting down though. More of a try and fall gracefully thing.

#7 ·
Ha, mine used to do it when little. Then they grew a bit, and couldn't fit on the ledge/ roof that well, and started falling off. Took them ages to realize they are too big to fit there! :)

#8 ·
It happened again this morning - except I went in, lifted his hide to check of he'd pooped and he wasn't in it. Shuffled his substrate around in confusion until his head curled up and around the lid.
It really is an attempt at falling gracefully - but when you don't have legs to catch yourself on, falling gracefully becomes a big challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.