Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys
this is one of our `keepers` from last year.The pairing was anery stripe x tessera het stripe.Just looking for opinions as `how to describe/name ` this wee guy

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It doesn't look like the couple of pics i have seen of tessera stripes so I would go with Tessera het stripe ph anery

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I would say it is a tessera stripe (het anery). I have bred tesseras the last two seasons and all "normal" ones have had quite pronounced side markings (all dots not stripes and mainly missing like yours).

Has it any belly checkers? I know some tesseras have no checkers and this on its own would not be proof that it is a stripe in the case of tesseras. All my hatchlings have had at least one well pronounced check to date and some have loads.

Were there others in the clutch showing more normal side markings?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we had a couple like this

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and some tessera, and somemore weird looking ones:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm going to be a weirdo naysayer and say it looks like a pinstripe motley. The second one looks like it's either a stripe, or a striped tessera.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
`Crow`
no belly markings, pure white

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
My guess would be that both in the pictures are tesseras.
If you look at the stripes on a striped corn there is a wide middle "stripe of background colour flanked by two very narrow stripes of the usually darker colour.
With tessera stripes it is usually a narrow central stripe flanked by two wide stripes with the bottom edge uneven or fading. Sometimes the central stripe is edged with a very thin line of black but I guess the slight hypo character of striping would probably loose this anyway.

The way the stripe meets the head and the colour of the head in relation to the stripes is often different as well.

I know this probably does not make a lot of sense but I tried to explain what I wanted to say the best I can.

I wonder if Charles Pritzels "Hypomacro" ID system would work to tell the difference between stripes and tessera stripes? He has found that most morphs show different patterns of dots on the scales. You would not have to prove anything only that the pattern of the dots was different in tesserae stripes and normal stripes! (Have you got a microscope?)

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Look good to me whatever they are :2thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts