Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have had my female corn sinse early september and she hasnt eaten at all will she has been with me i have tryed everything from scenting to braining the only thing i havent tryed is force feeding but i really dont want to have to do that she has lost a bit of waight and it is starting to worry me her temps are 30*c hot end and 21 cool end any help would be great
regards
nick

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I personally keep my corns at between 27-28c, so maybe try dropping your temps a little.

What is the rest of her set-up like and how often are you feeding her?
Has she been with a male at all recently?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally keep my corns at between 27-28c, so maybe try dropping your temps a little.

What is the rest of her set-up like and how often are you feeding her?
Has she been with a male at all recently?
will try that and she has never been with a male she is kept on her own in a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft viv she has 2 hides and a water bowl with some fake plants and she is on aspen (she is only 4ft) i try once a week now but when i got her she had already eaten so i left her for two weeks before trying

·
Registered
496 Posts
Try deforsting the mouse in really hpt water and when its defrosted keep it in hot water then as your about to feed take it out dry it off quivk then offer when its still quite hot, it seems to work well for me. I would lower your hot end to bout 28 and raise ur cool to bout 23

·
Registered
3 Posts
No do not defrost in hot water because it makes the bacteria inside the mouse multiply like crazy then the snake has serious health problems!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Over winter it isn't entirely unheard of for females to go off their food as well as males.

How much cover does she have in her viv? Is there alot of open space or does she have a way of moving from one side of the viv to the other? I find this can really help many fussy feeders, but do try fiddling the temperatures too.

Does she prefer to spend most of her time in a particular end of the viv?

·
Registered
347 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over winter it isn't entirely unheard of for females to go off their food as well as males.

How much cover does she have in her viv? Is there alot of open space or does she have a way of moving from one side of the viv to the other? I find this can really help many fussy feeders, but do try fiddling the temperatures too.

Does she prefer to spend most of her time in a particular end of the viv?
she tends to be in her cool end when i look i will drop the hot end alitle bit and make more cover for her ill do that now actually thank you

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
What do you mean when u say ignore because what Empree Daemon has put is actually correct.

It is rubbish the advice that was given. Breeders/owners have been defrosting rats & mice in hot water for many years & their snakes are still alive & well :Na_Na_Na_Na:. So the advice given is not correct :whistling2:. Bacteria is actually more likely to grow on rats & mice that are left out to defrost at room temperature, defrosting quickly using hot water doesn't allow the bacteria to grow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
defrosting mice quickely use cold water then when defrosted dry it off with paper towels then rub between ur palms to make it warm and do not ignore what i put because i am correct.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
defrosting mice quickely use cold water then when defrosted dry it off with paper towels then rub between ur palms to make it warm and do not ignore what i put because i am correct.

So how do you expect to get the rat or mouse up to a decent temperature so the snake will strike it by rubbing it in your hands? You are talking a load of rubbish i'm afraid, you'd be there for hours rubbing it & then transferring bacteria from your hands onto the rat/mouse which would be far more dangerous to the snake than defrosting in hot/warm water.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It is rubbish the advice that was given. Breeders/owners have been defrosting rats & mice in hot water for many years & their snakes are still alive & well :Na_Na_Na_Na:. So the advice given is not correct :whistling2:. Bacteria is actually more likely to grow on rats & mice that are left out to defrost at room temperature, defrosting quickly using hot water doesn't allow the bacteria to grow.
Exaactly I am proof that it is not rubbish as i have always fed my snakes on mice defrosted in hot water and they are all in brilliant health. the heat sometimes seems to make food irresistable

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am going to ignore him his advise was nonsence i will try the hot water thing in a few days dont want to try again just yet as she refused her food last night and thank you every one for the great advise will keep you posted on the matter

·
Registered
230 Posts
wouldnt rubbing the mouse between your hands transfer your scent to the mose an put the snake off even more,and make it more prone to strike at your hand when cleaning etc as it smells the same as its food,as for defrosting in hot water i do this and my snakes are none the worse for it,ensures the mouse/rat is at its freshest i would think.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yh i forgot to mention she did strike for the mouse last night but then didnt bother with it

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
i am going to ignore him his advise was nonsence i will try the hot water thing in a few days dont want to try again just yet as she refused her food last night and thank you every one for the great advise will keep you posted on the matter
Best of luck. If she struck at the mouse and then left it then it being hot might work, make sure and give it a good wiggle too. ;)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Best of luck. If she struck at the mouse and then left it then it being hot might work, make sure and give it a good wiggle too. ;)
i will give her a few days before i try again dont want her to get to stressed and thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
230 Posts
maybe you could just leave the mouse in the viv,i sometimes did this with my king,he would show interest then slither away so left the mouse on his rock,when i looked back later it was gone! maybe he was just a lazy so and so :lol2: good luck with the feeding im sure it will sort itself out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts