Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have an adult female corn snake, about six years old, who has gone off food. She has just shed her skin, I know that they don't eat before then when the are in the milky stage, but that was a week ago and she hasn't feed for about 1 and a half months.
Usually I would feed her 1 adult mouse every two weeks, she hasn't lost too much weight but how long is this likely to go on for?

Would warming up the mouse before I put her in the feeding box a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Alex.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Could just be breeding season, she might lay eggs, a shed at this time of year sounds like a pre laying shed but if you've not got a male with her then they'll be duds if she lays any.
If she's not loosing weight and seems non the worse for it just keep offing every 2-3 weeks til she takes again and don't worry too much.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi All.

I have an adult female corn snake, about six years old, who has gone off food. She has just shed her skin, I know that they don't eat before then when the are in the milky stage, but that was a week ago and she hasn't feed for about 1 and a half months.
Usually I would feed her 1 adult mouse every two weeks, she hasn't lost too much weight but how long is this likely to go on for?

Would warming up the mouse before I put her in the feeding box a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Alex.

yeah you should always warm up food before offering to at least room tempreture, what are her viv hot and cold temps, you should if possible start weighing her to check for any significant weight loss, have you tried leaving food overnight,? not trying to worry you it is qute normal for snakes to fast every once in a while! keep us updated

·
Registered
623 Posts
walm up the mouse first, preferably in hot water, try not to let the mouse actually touch the water, put it in a small plastic bag then dip it in as the water will 'dampen' its scent. This works for me anyway and my corn can be an extremely fussy eater.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try leaving it in overnight if she hasnt eaten it wait a few days and try again, do you defrost in water or just leave it to on its own, if you defrost in water it takes away the scent, you could try braining the mouse as well

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Mine has only just started eating again after a couple of months of not eating, she produces eggs and reabsorbs them and once she has done that she goes back to eating again.

Always warm the food up so it feels like it has just been killed, some of mine will only eat if you wiggle the food for them but if they won't strike I will leave it in overnight anyway in case they change their mind. You can try taking them out of the viv and putting them in a separate, covered box and leave them for a while or you could try braining.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

Will defo warm up the mouse using the dry bath method as Marcel27 suggested.
She's stll very active and loves being out of the viv, the viv has one heat mat that has a hide on top thar she is usually in when I get home but soon comes out when the hi fi or tv is on.
I've always used a feeding box and up until recently she's fed and drank well.

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks
Alex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts