Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here so go easy on me :blush:

I've had a corn snake for around 4 years, admittedly it was somewhat neglected for 3.5 of those years. I always fed it but didn't use a thermostat or thermometer and almost never cleaned it out.

However, having quit weed for the past 6 months I've taken an interest in snakes and bought a couple of new vivs (3ft) along with the necessary equipment and started actually taking care of it. He/she (for the life of me I cannot pop it) is almost 3 foot and weighs 197g, it never misses a feed but has had mild r.i for a couple of years. It sneezes and clicks from time to time but has never had any discharge or bubbling from its mouth or nostrils. I've steamed it a couple of times with vicks and eucalyptus oil and it seemed to dampen the symptoms for a while but hasn't actually gotten rid of it. I really want to start a collection of snakes but refuse to purchase anymore until I've sorted my first one - yes I feel guilty.

It's warm end bounces between 29 and 31 celcius however it seems to spend 75% of it's time in the cooler end, I use coconut fiber substrate on the warm end, with a big tile in the middle (so I can feed it) and beech chips in the cool end. I've also got aspen but I only use it for a 22g female corn (very healthy) as she seems to like burrowing.

I've just looked up a reptile vet a short drive from where I'm at but currently don't have the money to take the snake down, any advice on treatment until I can afford the vet bills?

Pictures can be provided with no problems, and feel free to tell me how much of a twat I am for neglecting my first corn

Thnx!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think there are some threads on here about home treating an RI, but I would probably call the vet and see if they offer any kind of payment plan, or something. ;) Some do, and can be very understanding.

Also, I'm glad to hear you're taking an interest in your snake again. They are lovely creatures, and I hope you can turn it all around and give it the home it deserves again. :2thumb:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Let me be the first to call you a :censor: but im glad you now want to take care of her/him there is some awesome people on here im sure can help your little snakey out. Good luck and :welcome:

Reactions: skirsty
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.