Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, bit of a weird one, I've noticed that my almost two year old male corn has started... sneezing? It's actually just a sudden, short, occasional burst of air from his nostrils, not loud at all, and I was wondering whether anyone had experienced anything similar and/or might know what it means? I have actually heard him do it before; when he was a bit younger he went through a short spell of doing this, but seemed to stop after a while. Now it seems to have started again.

He has no other symptoms; his nostrils and mouth are dry and clean, no sign of mucous or anything like that, and it only happens occasionally on the exhale; most of his breaths are silent (I put his head right by my ear). His behaviour is unchanged and he was happy to eat as normal last Sunday. The conditions in his enclosure are also unchanged. The only thing is he is overdue a shed and showing no signs of being about to have one, but I highly doubt that's related or anything to worry about.

Is it possible that he's managed to get a bit of substrate up his nose and is trying to dislodge it? It's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Never experienced it myself, but was going to ask about shedding and sometimes if the snake has a bit of stuck shed they can make a sort of of wheezy noise through the nostrils.

What substrate do you use then, as I would have to imagine it would have to be quite fine to get into the nostril.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, should have specified the substrate. I's aspen, so hardly fine at all, though I guess it could be a bit of dust off it? Also, I know I said in my first post that his behaviour was unchanged, but it occurred to me after I posted it that he's been spending more time in the cold side recently for some reason. Again, can't see how it would be related, but thought I'd mention just in case.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I saw my scrub do it for the first time yesterday. I've just put her in a new home - previously she was on bark, and now it's a bark, coco-block, eco-earth mix so I've put it down to that but will keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Aspen can bring on signs of RI's in snakes because of minute dust particles, my kings throat stole up and she began sneezing when I changed her to aspen years ago, switched over to Ligonocel (think that's the name comes in bails) and all was fine.

Just a thought and possibly worth a go.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aspen can bring on signs of RI's in snakes because of minute dust particles, my kings throat stole up and she began sneezing when I changed her to aspen years ago, switched over to Ligonocel (think that's the name comes in bails) and all was fine.

Just a thought and possibly worth a go.
Thank you, I am actually going to be changing his bedding over to Megazorb, and am just using up the last of the aspen I had left over from before. I got Megazorb because it was suggested for the KSB and I liked it, it doesn't seem dusty at any rate.

Hopefully that will sort out the problem

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
One of my corns "sneezed" at me years ago. What it was though, he was in blue and I tried to move him to put his cave back into his viv (I was checking on him, cos I hadn't seen him for more than a day and being a noob thought something was wrong) and he was basically telling my to p*ss off, lol. He also kept head butting me, which was kind of cute.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My boy lets out a 'huff' occasionally, can be for a few reasons. If he's been exercising in the lounge he might let out a huff (he's a bit of a fatty). If he's gotten somewhere dusty he'll huff. If I surprise him when I pick him up he'll huff... I was concerned when I first hear it but otherwise he's healthy as can be.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had exactly the same problem at the end of last year, but my corn snake female was also wheezing, squeaking, and generally making awful noise when handled, and even worse when feeding, but not when in the Viv. She was also overdue for shed, and also on aspen.
I checked her mouth, nose, throat, no bubbles, no mucous, she ate well, her chest sounded ok. She kept to cold side, so was freezing cold...

As a first solution (didn't want vet straight away, as my reptile vet was off ), I took away all her cold side hides, upped the temperature a bit, and misted the Viv with slightly warm water ( only very lightly, once a day ) to make sure humidity wasn't too low. Left her in complete peace,as she's quite a shy snake.

She improved very quickly - I checked her breathing / mouth properly every time I fed her, every 10 -12 days, and within 2 feeds, she was completely sneeze and squeak free :).

As it is, the hot hide hasn't got any aspen in it, and I also completely cleaned and disinfected her Viv, and changed all the aspen for new batch, just in case.
I did notice some batches of aspen can be completely dust free, but, again, I had one particular bag, when I started sneezing, when I opened it, it was so dusty. I shook out all the dust and sieved it as well.
I have heard Megazorb can be too absorbent, and snakes can have shedding problems on it, but wondering whether to start using lignocell...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts