Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello! This is my buddies corn snake. He has been a fairly healthy snake, eats often. Wondering why his scales and skin look like this and what we can do to fix/ help his health! Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
He could be dehydrated, so if he is dehydrated you might want to try to put him in a bath of dechlorinated water that is low to mid eighty degrees Fahrenheit. He could also be going into shed or he could be in shed, but I've never seen this with a corn snake. I'd recommend giving him a soak and adding a humid hide to his enclosure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does he have a water bowl big enough to bathe in? Large ceramic dog bowls are great as deeper than reptile ones.
How hot is his vivarium? How well/often has he been shedding? Rough idea of age?

For right now I'd say he needs bathing and I'd recommend a trip to the vets fast to check for underlying issues. I've had corns for 24yrs and never seen one in that condition and if it was mine I'd be very concerned.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
The high probability is de-hydration, and without any details on how the snake is being housed and the environment its being kept in it's impossible to say if that is the case, or something else is happening here. Given that this would not have happened over night, it does bring in the question of why you didn't seek advice sooner.

I would strongly suggest you take the snake to a vet for an assessment from a trained and qualified person. They can prescribe medication if required, and recommend any change to husbandry requirements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He could be dehydrated, so if he is dehydrated you might want to try to put him in a bath of dechlorinated water that is low to mid eighty degrees Fahrenheit. He could also be going into shed or he could be in shed, but I've never seen this with a corn snake. I'd recommend giving him a soak and adding a humid hide to his enclosure.
He just shed today! We have a water dish for him that he goes in sometimes and the heat is at 79°, we have a uv snake lamp and the thermometer the humidity is at 50%, not sure what humidity for corn snakes is..

·
Registered
23 Posts
He just shed today! We have a water dish for him that he goes in sometimes and the heat is at 79°, we have a uv snake lamp and the thermometer the humidity is at 50%, not sure what humidity for corn snakes is..
That's a good humidity for corn snakes, you just don't want it to go over 60 percent, and you want to make sure it doesn't go too low either

·
Registered
96 Posts
He definitely needs to be seen by a vet.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
A new photo would now be useful !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
463 Posts
Looks like he needs to shed and then feed the next day. Should be ok once shed and had some food, maybe let him bathe in some warm water just in case he is dehydrated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like he needs to shed and then feed the next day. Should be ok once shed and had some food, maybe let him bathe in some warm water just in case he is dehydrated.
Apparently he had already shed. I've never seen a corn look like that in 25yrs of having them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts