Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Looking to do a BIG feeder order for my corns, but thought I better ask for any suggestions on quantities. I wouldn't mind doing an order for roughly a year, I have 5 corns who are on small mice, one a week, but they'll probably be looking for bigger food shortly - I'm not sure how quickly they're going to grow or if anyone has any suggestions on amounts for me to purchase for the time being, or should I just buy a load of each stage of mice, i.e. small, medium, large mice and some rats??

Any help on this?

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I order a month at a time as I don't like it hanging around too long in the freezer, plus I just don't have to room for more than that. Like you say it's hard to know how soon they will move up a size too and then how long they will be at that next stage.

I would think monthly or quarterly would be easier :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
pretty sure i wouldnt wanna eat meat thats been in a domestic freezer for a year ,
so i wouldnt be feeding my snakes it either ;)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I order for a year but usually the snakes move up a food size and I have some smaller mice left not being used. Not a problem though just buy another snake that is eating that size mouse. Wouldn't want to waist food and its a good excuse as well to get another snake. OH hasn't twigged yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your style. Nothing bad happens to the food in the freezer though surelly of it is at the correct temp.... Have been looking for a reason to get another snake... No oke has had probkems with ordering food well in advance?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Nothing bad happens to the food in the freezer though surelly of it is at the correct temp....
just pulled this from a google search

As a guide here are some suggested maximum storage times at -18°C (in months)
Raw meat and meat products
Beef joints, Steaks12
Beef mince10
Lamb joints, chops10
Pork joints, chops6
Sausages6
Bacon2-4
Poultry12

3. Does that mean that frozen food stored for longer is dangerous?

No. Bacteria - some of which cause food poisoning - cannot grow at freezer temperatures, so the storage life reflects the length of time that the product is likely to remain in good condition. The products are usually labelled 'Best Before' rather than 'Use By'. Eventually, even well-frozen food will deteriorate and become unpalatable while still remaining safe to eat.

Bacteria, some of which cause food poisoning, cannot grow at freezer temperatures, but freezing does not kill them. Fish, other than the filter-feeding shellfish such as oysters and mussels, do not contain any bacteria harmful to humans.

Don't forget eventually even well-frozen food will deteriorate and become unpalatable while still remaining safe to eat, so don't leave it in the freezer indefinitely.

looks like some meats can last a year in the freezer , but some cant :hmm:
no idea where rodents fit into this guide though :lol2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buying quarterly may be the better option then I guess...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I just buy my frozen mice as and when I need them.
When I just had the one snake I also bought from a local shop as and when I needed them. But their price for a medium mouse was £1.60 each :gasp: Now I have 6 snakes that would work out very very expensive so buying in bulk and paying just 38p for one medium mouse is alot better and I have to say that they are better quality as well. :2thumb:

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
When I just had the one snake I also bought from a local shop as and when I needed them. But their price for a medium mouse was £1.60 each :gasp: Now I have 6 snakes that would work out very very expensive so buying in bulk and paying just 38p for one medium mouse is alot better and I have to say that they are better quality as well. :2thumb:
I just have 3 snakes and don't find the cost all that expensive tbh when buying as I need them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts