Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new vivarium for my Corn Snake as my cuurent one is looking worse for wear. I have seen some flexariums on www.bitsforpets.com and i like the price and simplicity of them. BUT I am not sure how suitable they would be for corn snakes. I understand I need good ventilation, but do you think it could get through the mesh? Or am I better off sticking with a glass vivarium? Any advice would be appreciated. :?

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Hey!

Im not to sure if you could control the heat very well in one of them? I have never used them but i have just had a look on the site...

Also, Do you have and cats/dogs?? As another concern of mine would be if they got there claws in?

not much help i know! lol

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Never heard of anyone using a flexarium for a snake but i wouldn't have thought it would be any good for a corn snake - just wouldn't hold the heat in cooler weather and not sure how escape proof they are with snakes either.

Far better to get one of these:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=581

Not necessarily that exact one - but any 3 or 4ft melamine viv with sliding glass doors is ideal. Holds the heat and humidity better than a glass tank and the snake will feel less exposed than if if it's surrounded by glass (and possibly it's own reflection) all the time.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was thinking in terms of an older corn - if it's a hatchling then one of the faunariums (above), heated with a heat mat, would be ideal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
a plastic tub with a heat mat and stat would be perfect!

thats what i use for my royals, if you get an under bed box royals acctually prefer them because they are low down and they feel more safe, i don't know about a corn though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, yes i did think it would be tricky controlling the heat. Think i will look for a glass vivarium, just a shame they are 10 times the price! Oh well. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i wouldnt do it with a snake, although i have seen them used for iggies

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I wouldnt use a glass vivarium either tbh ... a bit harder to control temps and ventilation. A wood one is best to use..

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
i dont no to be honest i dont have a snake "yet" i thought id point it out just incase you didnt notice, best to wait for one of the other members to reply

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
As someone has already suggested, you'll be better off with a proper wood vivarium. £80 is a lot to pay for a terranium which in a few years will be too small for the snake! Not only that, but I would question the exo-terra glass terraniums ability to keep the snake in it. I've had one for my geckos, and the click method of closing the lid and opening the doors doesn't strike me as overly secure for a snake.

If the snake it more than a year old, I'd say just get a 3 foot melemine vivarium. If the space is too much for the snake partition a bit off but at least then you'll have a vivarium that will suit the snake for the rest of its life.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Don't worry too much about ventilation for corns - most wood vivariums have enough ventilation fitted, and even if you needed to add more it's pretty simple to do.

Something like the exo-terra viv (too small anyway) or an aquarium type viv with a screen lid wouldn't hold the humidity very well as they are ventilated across the whole of the top.
A corn will need a certain amount of humidity in order to shed properly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts