Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it tru about the small population of breeding corn snakes in essex?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I've heard of a wild population of Rat snakes in the Welsh Mountain zoo area...
yea they are Aesculapian Snakes (sorry if spelling is wrong) its just dont the road from me, been there loads never seen any though, i even did 4weeks work experience there and never saw one lol, apparently from what ive read one gravid female escaped from the zoo and now there is a small colony there,

so would not be surprised if wild corns where in britain, especially in the warmer parts,

i mean if rat snakes can survive on the zoo which btw is so bludy windy and when it rains it really rains and is cold alot of the time due to the wind. im sure they could survive most places

·
Registered
754 Posts
you mean aesculapian snake

i heard theres a party in my pants
There is a population of Aesculapians in the Bristol area and also in London very close to ZSL.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
There is a population of Aesculapians in the Bristol area and also in London very close to ZSL.
theres also a population in my house of them......

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
what about eggs?

is the weather there warm enough and at the right time and for the proper length of time to make reproduction feasible?

how many egg laying herps are there in the u.k.?

we have an isolated population just south of me in kentucky of corns... naturally there of course... i'd like to go down and find me one... but kentucky is far different than here where i live right?

we have long, hot summers here on the ohio river just a stone's throw away from kentucky... i don't think it's as hot or hot for as long a duration there in the u.k. as it is here... but corns will seek out proper places to lay... it's possible ...

interesting. : victory:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
what about eggs?

is the weather there warm enough and at the right time and for the proper length of time to make reproduction feasible?

how many egg laying herps are there in the u.k.?

we have an isolated population just south of me in kentucky of corns... naturally there of course... i'd like to go down and find me one... but kentucky is far different than here where i live right?

we have long, hot summers here on the ohio river just a stone's throw away from kentucky... i don't think it's as hot or hot for as long a duration there in the u.k. as it is here... but corns will seek out proper places to lay... it's possible ...

interesting. : victory:
I was thinking that same think my self, with the aesculapian snake in the zoo grounds, as much as there is bad weather, when its a nice day and esepcially during the summer is its quite hot with some areas for laying which are sheltered from the wind but exposed to the sun so i think it may be able to hatch but may take slightly longer if the temps are that little bit lower,

either way it must be working coz they have been there since the late 1960's lol

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Im surprised the Aesculapian has not been here longer as the Roman's were quite keen on them, maybe the one's stationed here were not herp fan's.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I've heard ffrom a couple of sources that there is a colony in Essex, although as they are solitary, a colony seems unlikely. But have heard from good sources that they are in Essex but the location, quite rightly, won't be revealed by those who know.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I was thinking that same think my self, with the aesculapian snake in the zoo grounds, as much as there is bad weather, when its a nice day and esepcially during the summer is its quite hot with some areas for laying which are sheltered from the wind but exposed to the sun so i think it may be able to hatch but may take slightly longer if the temps are that little bit lower,

either way it must be working coz they have been there since the late 1960's lol
remember the europrean ratsnakes..not american ones aswell though

·
Registered
10,135 Posts
A couple of years back I went with to an animal rescue place in Essex with a friend, as he was rehoming a CRB from their. While speaking to the staff and having a look round, they said that on a few occasions they have had hatchling corns brought in to them having been found in gardens, etc, the odd thing being that they still had the umbilical cord attached. Given that this drops off very soon after hatching, this would strongly suggest at least one clutch of eggs which successfully hatched in the wild. Whether this is from a small breeding group, a pair, or a gravid female who escaped or was released is not clear.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts