Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

corn snakes in the wild in britian?

18K views 127 replies 39 participants last post by  liamdenise022 
#1 ·
is it tru about the small population of breeding corn snakes in essex?

#93 ·
i've been saying this for years. its just a matter of time until eggs are able to hatch

#15 ·
what about eggs?

is the weather there warm enough and at the right time and for the proper length of time to make reproduction feasible?

how many egg laying herps are there in the u.k.?

we have an isolated population just south of me in kentucky of corns... naturally there of course... i'd like to go down and find me one... but kentucky is far different than here where i live right?

we have long, hot summers here on the ohio river just a stone's throw away from kentucky... i don't think it's as hot or hot for as long a duration there in the u.k. as it is here... but corns will seek out proper places to lay... it's possible ...

interesting. : victory:

#16 ·
what about eggs?

is the weather there warm enough and at the right time and for the proper length of time to make reproduction feasible?

how many egg laying herps are there in the u.k.?

we have an isolated population just south of me in kentucky of corns... naturally there of course... i'd like to go down and find me one... but kentucky is far different than here where i live right?

we have long, hot summers here on the ohio river just a stone's throw away from kentucky... i don't think it's as hot or hot for as long a duration there in the u.k. as it is here... but corns will seek out proper places to lay... it's possible ...

interesting. : victory:
I was thinking that same think my self, with the aesculapian snake in the zoo grounds, as much as there is bad weather, when its a nice day and esepcially during the summer is its quite hot with some areas for laying which are sheltered from the wind but exposed to the sun so i think it may be able to hatch but may take slightly longer if the temps are that little bit lower,

either way it must be working coz they have been there since the late 1960's lol

#17 ·
Im surprised the Aesculapian has not been here longer as the Roman's were quite keen on them, maybe the one's stationed here were not herp fan's.

Reactions: Tom
#18 ·
I've heard ffrom a couple of sources that there is a colony in Essex, although as they are solitary, a colony seems unlikely. But have heard from good sources that they are in Essex but the location, quite rightly, won't be revealed by those who know.

#20 ·
A couple of years back I went with to an animal rescue place in Essex with a friend, as he was rehoming a CRB from their. While speaking to the staff and having a look round, they said that on a few occasions they have had hatchling corns brought in to them having been found in gardens, etc, the odd thing being that they still had the umbilical cord attached. Given that this drops off very soon after hatching, this would strongly suggest at least one clutch of eggs which successfully hatched in the wild. Whether this is from a small breeding group, a pair, or a gravid female who escaped or was released is not clear.

#30 ·
i once found a HUGE salmon pink bird eatter.....well it was behind a fridge of my mates....he lost it as a sling 3 years ago and it seems it survived and lived off sliver fish and woodlice

#33 ·
The thought of such a spider behind my fridge makes my bowels loosen. I can only sleep at night with the reassurance that beasts such as they die in our cold climate. Now I must resort to drugging myself for rest. :sick:

#34 ·
The thought of such a spider behind my fridge makes my bowels loosen. I can only sleep at night with the reassurance that beasts such as they die in our cold climate. Now I must resort to drugging myself for rest. :sick:

LOL Yeah, a bird eater isn't the kind of animal you want loose in you're house, being deadly and all...

Nowhere near as bad as a funell web though.

#38 ·
I meant to put "Highly" venomous...my bad

Its common knowledge that all spiders are venomous....Just some a lot more then others.

#41 ·
Uloboridae are not nor are the any of the order Mesothelae.

#44 ·
1) Why are we talking Spiders on a snake forum?

2) I don't know a great indepth deal about Spiders, so I am not going to say anything about them that I know nothing about

3) I have no idea what you're on about! lol

#49 ·
I heard there are a few garter populations scaterd around the uk, and roath park lake in cardiff has read ear sliders and yellow painted sliders living in there they have even found eggs but no hatchlings and there was even a soft shell turtle found in there too.

#54 · (Edited)
When I get a house with a garden and a nice pond I may well start to try and introduce some nice little garter snakes.
dunno if you were being serious...but for anyone who is it would have to be in an outdoor enclosure or it would be illegal

#57 ·
I think the ;) said it all, but im not Jerry Lewis so iv been wrong and never married a teenager either for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.