Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2ft wide x 1.5ft high by 1ft viv with a 12w heatmat inside. The problem is that the temp in the hot end (even with the temp probe on the edge of the mat) never gets above 23.5oC.

There is a vent about 2" in height midway up the back of the viv that runs the full length of the viv, I am wondering if I cover most of the vent along the back of the viv starting from the hot end and leaving some of the vent uncoverd at the cool end whether this might raise the temp.

What do you think? IS there anything else I should be doing?

I thought maybe 12w wasn't strong enough for the heatmat but it seems standard for an 11"x11" heatmat like mine which seems the right size for my viv.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I have a 2ft wide x 1.5ft high by 1ft viv with a 12w heatmat inside. The problem is that the temp in the hot end (even with the temp probe on the edge of the mat) never gets above 23.5oC.

There is a vent about 2" in height midway up the back of the viv that runs the full length of the viv, I am wondering if I cover most of the vent along the back of the viv starting from the hot end and leaving some of the vent uncoverd at the cool end whether this might raise the temp.

What do you think? IS there anything else I should be doing?

I thought maybe 12w wasn't strong enough for the heatmat but it seems standard for an 11"x11" heatmat like mine which seems the right size for my viv.

Any suggestions?
You need a higher wattage heatmat or have a ceramic with a stat and bulb guard set on low to create an ambient of 25 in the viv this will help the mat be more effective, usualy i would sugest having just a ceramic but this is difficult to do in a viv this size.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yeah you would definately need a slightly higher wattage of heatmat. I'm not the expert on ceramics - can you get ceramic pygmy bulbs??

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
im having the same problems heating my royal tank...grrrr

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Have you put the temp probe ON the mat to measure the actual surface temperature your snake is experiencing?

Heat mats are not efficient air-heaters; they are surface heaters, and will heat what is directly on top of them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes the probe is on the heat mat.

I had a look around and all the 11"x11" heat mats seem to be 12w. I will have another look around tonight. Cheers

So you don't think the large vent at the back of the viv is an issue to worry too much about?

So what wattage should I look for in an 11"x11" heatmat for my 2ft viv? What;s the max you can get - I have a thermostat in the viv (not that its needed at the moment:( )

By the way, and I should have mentioned it earlier, the heat ma will ideally go under some vinyl flooring (lino type stuff) but the temps I have mentioned are without the vinyl flooring.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
An 11X11 heat mat is pretty much *going* to be 12watts. That's what the heating element for that size of mat is.

I asked "is it on the heat mat" because you mentioned it was on the edge of the mat - are you measuring the temperature of the dark-coloured active heating element, and have you tried measuring temperatures in different areas on the mat? Not all heat mats heat evenly, either.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you would definately need a slightly higher wattage of heatmat. I'm not the expert on ceramics - can you get ceramic pygmy bulbs??
I have seen some 14w heat mats but will 2 watts make that much difference?

An 11X11 heat mat is pretty much *going* to be 12watts. That's what the heating element for that size of mat is.

I asked "is it on the heat mat" because you mentioned it was on the edge of the mat - are you measuring the temperature of the dark-coloured active heating element, and have you tried measuring temperatures in different areas on the mat? Not all heat mats heat evenly, either.
Yeah I have tried the probe in several positions all over the heatmat and temps seem no different to where it is now.

I appreciate all the help guys and any other points or suggestions will be warmly welcomed (forgive the pun).

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would change to a 40w ceramic bulb with stat and guard. you will definitely get desired ambient temp and when the corn moves up to a 3ft viv you can buy a 60 bulb and you still have everything else you need.

For such a small viv i would think about putting in another vent or 2 in the cool end. Somewhere for the heat to escape.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I think we have a winner, I moved th probe to the center of the heat mat (even on top of the vinyl flooring) and it went to 34oC co that seems to have fixed it. Thank you sooooo much for that. Sometimes the simplest of suggestions seems to avoid our vision.

I am now a VERY happy bunny and all seems well. THANK YOU!!! I owe you a pint. :notworthy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts