Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
looks like a bit of a bureaucratic cockup..... seems they have an Elaphe listing on the legal list and a Pantherophis listing on the banned one lol

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I believe that it is because of problems regarding release/escape, and breeding, as they can breed and survive in places they are not meant to be native to in some states of the USA, becoming something akin to a "pest". They can then completely upset the natural ecosystem as they might prey on endangered species, or just simply upset the predator/prey balance.

If just 10 females were let go in a single year they could produce 300 hatchlings, many of which might survive... and considering an adult corn snake is worth about $20-30 in some places in the USA, irresponsible people might think it better, easier, or perhaps even nicer for the snake, to be released than rehomed.

Some states of the USA have a complete ban of reptiles full stop!

If corn snakes could breed and multiply succesfully in the wild here, I am sure they would soon be up the top of the ban list.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
According to a post on cornsnakes.com they have also included domestic mice (Mus musculus) on the blacklist too. KJUN has contacted the committee, who have said:

"? I've been in contact with TPWD, and I've been told it was an accident. I've been informed that they are hoping to take corrective measures at the next commission meeting (unknown date). If that is done, no worries unless some LE tries to enforce it between then and now (unlikely, but I'm waiting to hear more). If the commission does not pass the corrective measures, then we are in serious trouble. I do NOT believe the commission will reject any corrections brought to them at the next meeting. We just need to hope the RIGHT corrective measurements are taken.

I feel like TPWD has been honest with me on this matter."

So looks like it was a mistake, and they will be unbanned soon enough (the ban isn't total - it says you can only own a total of six maximum of the banned species).

The thread on cs.com is: Comercialization of Corn Snakes in Texas Banned - Page 3 - CornSnakes.com Forums

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
let them ban whatever they want here. 90% of the time it won't be enforced, and nearly everybody will ignore the laws anyway. they'd have to have a federal law to really be effective and that will never happen. local and state government can ban whatever they want but so long as herps are for sale anywhere here, people will keep buying and keeping them. you see how effective gun laws here are. like in washington D.C., they have the toughest gun laws in the land but have the worst record of gun crime in the union. most regulations are just going to hurt the industry and there is too much money involved to let it happen. most americans have the attitude that if they don't like the law then they'll just ignore it. fireworks are illegal here in ohio but not next door in indiana. the 4th of july still looks like world war III here every year. with many of the stupid laws, you'd have to almost try to get busted to get cited. it's illegal to transport reptiles in kentucky without a permit. i wonder how many folks are punished or even caught for that? weed is illegal of course in kentucky. they do such a good job at enforcing that law that weed is still the number one cash crop in the state... more than even tobbacco! i just wonder if i lined up 100 ky state troopers and asked them what the exotic animal laws were, how many would know? heck! we can't even control our borders or do anything with illegal immigrants from around the world. how effective would the enforcement of reptile laws be? it's all a joke. right now, i can go up to the flea market and buy hatchling turtle for $5 each even though everybody knows that they have to be 4" in size at least. you might even have to wait in line to buy one....likely behind a cop who is buying one for his kid! in some places, crazy things do happen, like in san francisco. but i know most people don't much care about these laws. if it starts affecting some big time dealers here, it will go to court and some pissed off tax payers will be screaming at their congressmen! and when little timmy down the street gets cited for having a corn snake, the city council will hear about it. they can, someday ban everything everywhere though, it's possible. keepers and dealers will have to stay on top of things to prevent that from happening. one benefit of living in a place where the crime rate is so bad is that these petty laws aren't always taken seriously. this is the land of cats and dogs...not many activists are crusading against reptiles. they have there hands full trying to keep lions out of people's back yards! all this stuff about laws and things just p*ss*s me off. think of all the comercial animal dealers and keepers and pet stores and just those folks that hate the government getting into their private business! that's a powerful lobby!!!

..............sorry, didn't mean to rant and certainly not to anger anybody. i just have a typical american attitude.....that works in our favor. a million p*ssed off herpers wouldn't be a pretty sight!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
If corn snakes could breed and multiply succesfully in the wild here, I am sure they would soon be up the top of the ban list.
*cough*

there are quite a few of us who believe they already do ;)

and in Kent / Essex, before anyone asks..

N

1 - 19 of 19 Posts