Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just finished making my ceramic heater guard and before I drill/screw holes in my (expensively built) viv I'd like some ideas on where's best to situate it (distances from walls, basking spot etc) thanks guys

·
Banned
336 Posts
I have always put my ceramics halfway from the side to the middle of the viv. If that makes sense.:lol2:
So mark the middle of the roof (lengthwise) then say its 1.5ft to the side, i would put it 0.75ft or 9 inches from the side wall and also in the middle front to back.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
I put mine about 1/4 in from left/right : victory:

Reactions: langerspies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have always put my ceramics halfway from the side to the middle of the viv. If that makes sense.:lol2:
So mark the middle of the roof (lengthwise) then say its 1.5ft to the side, i would put it 0.75ft or 9 inches from the side wall and also in the middle front to back.
Thanks m8. Straight forward advice,I like it :)

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
i put all my ceramics in the back right hand corner,screwed onto to the inside top of the viv,i make sure its tight to the back wall and right hand side of the viv...

that way i can increase or shorten,the length of my hot spot towards the cold end,by simply moving the probe further away from,or closer to the bulb

i put my Carpets into 4x2x2ft viv's as hatchlings,as long as they are NOT nervous feeders

so the larger the snake gets,the more i increase the length of the hot end,to accomadate it's size,this way also gives me great temperature gradients

cheers shaun

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
A 150W ceramic is a lot for a small viv like this! I don't suppose it matters hugely, though.

I also make my own heat guards. A sheet of mesh makes at least 4 guards - at about £2 each. They're plenty strong enough for all but the most muscular snakes. It would be easy enough to reinforce them anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts