Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home and checked on my snakes and noticed my royal was mid shed so left her to it and went back 15 minutes later and she had finished shedding.

So removed the shed and checked it for eye caps etc (there is one retained but will sort this out tomorrow). Then got snakey out just to check her over and noticed that there was a tiny amount of blood around her vent.

Is this normal as i have never seen this before. Also from her vent down to the tip of her tail looks quite red. This has happened to me before and it resulted in my royal getting a bacterial infection in her tail.

Now, i have some iodine solution let from when the vet treated the antibacterial infection. Should i bath her tail in this as a precaution or am i best to leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Just got home and checked on my snakes and noticed my royal was mid shed so left her to it and went back 15 minutes later and she had finished shedding.

So removed the shed and checked it for eye caps etc (there is one retained but will sort this out tomorrow). Then got snakey out just to check her over and noticed that there was a tiny amount of blood around her vent.

Is this normal as i have never seen this before. Also from her vent down to the tip of her tail looks quite red. This has happened to me before and it resulted in my royal getting a bacterial infection in her tail.

Now, i have some iodine solution let from when the vet treated the antibacterial infection. Should i bath her tail in this as a precaution or am i best to leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for any help!
photos are the key to unlock this madness

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest there is nothing to see this morning. The redness has gone from her tail and the blood was only a tiny amount and the area is not red or inflamed etc

Could she just have caught the last nit of her shed and struggled and im overreacting?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
To be honest there is nothing to see this morning. The redness has gone from her tail and the blood was only a tiny amount and the area is not red or inflamed etc

Could she just have caught the last nit of her shed and struggled and im overreacting?
hey ive had this same problem a few times before with my old king corn and royal and was told it was completely normal as you said there is nothing to see it cleared up for me within a day or two

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
The vent is a fairly common place for shedding issues.

Maybe some of the shed hadn't detatched properly and was torn free.

I would keep an eye on it and just make sure the viv is kept spotless for a while to reduce the risk of infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.