Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed some fern growing in my back garden and wanted to know if i could dig a bit of it up a put it in my vivarium??

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
you could but i doubt any native ferns will be a good vivarium plant if you visit dartfrog.co.uk you can buy ferns suitable for vivariums

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok then dude i'll try that, do they have recommended plants on the website? and i saw this guy with airplants in his viv?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
You could also try any of the ferns sold as houseplants in B&Q, Homebase etc. They can be a bit tricky, though, needing warmth and humidity, but good drainage at the same time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How come? What would be a pain with them??

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
How come? What would be a pain with them??
there just fairly delicate and picky about conditions and as soon as they start to deteriorate its hard to bring them back:devil:tbh though i have only tried Boston ferns im sure some will make great vivarium plants

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i've used a couple from homebase in my viv's for anoles and had no problems with them, but then i did leave them in the pots so that might of helped.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh i see what you mean dude, i might get the one and see how i get on with it.

I'll prbs go to homebase to get one i think, and i might be getting some anoles so could work well. How many have you got?? And how do you get on with them??

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

I'll prbs go to homebase to get one i think, and i might be getting some anoles so could work well. How many have you got?? And how do you get on with them??
Got none now but had 3 at the time. They loved the fern as it gave them loads to jump on etc and at night they use to sleep on the leaves/branches, was quite funny :lol2:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts

Some of the ferns you get from homebase and places work well, but as other have said some are delicate and die off.

The guy with air plants is prob me as i use them in all my builds, mine come from Just Airplants

Anoles are brill, i have a large planted viv with a few groups of anoles in.

Jay

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to be honest my ferns were kept in a dartfrog viv so was probably far to wet /humid i spend to much time speaking to other phib keepers haha
haha

yer i might get a few anoles and breed them i think, was going to put a stream and pool in my viv but i cba with the hassle tbf atm, prbs do it later on.
reckon i could cross breed green anoles and blue or brown anoles?? :lol2:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
haha

yer i might get a few anoles and breed them i think, was going to put a stream and pool in my viv but i cba with the hassle tbf atm, prbs do it later on.
reckon i could cross breed green anoles and blue or brown anoles?? :lol2:
heres my anole viv

I'm sure i've spoken to you before about anoles. The three species of anole you refer to cannot be cross bred. The Blue/green ones you have seen are another species of anole. There are about 100 species of anolis available.

Water features in vivs look great, but are a pain in the arse. They are great for frog people but often the humidity because to much of a problem in non dart tanks.

Jay

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heres my anole viv

I'm sure i've spoken to you before about anoles. The three species of anole you refer to cannot be cross bred. The Blue/green ones you have seen are another species of anole. There are about 100 species of anolis available.

Water features in vivs look great, but are a pain in the arse. They are great for frog people but often the humidity because to much of a problem in non dart tanks.

Jay
haha yer we have jay lol, i'm sure we had a massive conversation about anoles before because i remember your viv lol.
yer i thought as much, would be pretty cool if you could cross breed them though lol. so what other species can you get?? i fancy something abit more uncommon

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
making hybrids is a really bad idea even if you could :devil:

and jay im always amazed how green that moss is as that viv looks rather dry:lol2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
making hybrids is a really bad idea even if you could :devil:

and jay im always amazed how green that moss is as that viv looks rather dry:lol2:
I've got moss growing up the side in all my tanks. European moss does really well in standard conditions, all mine get spreyed about once a day heavily.

I also find frog tanks so wet so many plants struggle. before i started doing these tank i knew nothing about plants lol.

jay

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I've got moss growing up the side in all my tanks. European moss does really well in standard conditions, all mine get spreyed about once a day heavily.

I also find frog tanks so wet so many plants struggle. before i started doing these tank i knew nothing about plants lol.

jay
its amazing how fast you pick stuff up. handy thing is 95% of places that stock vivarium plants are dartfrog sites so its easy to get suitable plants for very high humidity...makes me wonder how many plants are overlooked that would be great for lower humidity vivs

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
its amazing how fast you pick stuff up. handy thing is 95% of places that stock vivarium plants are dartfrog sites so its easy to get suitable plants for very high humidity...makes me wonder how many plants are overlooked that would be great for lower humidity vivs
Yer, as all mine are low humidity, there are some fantastic plants that work well. The issue is, for those that want to do a planted tank for anything other then froggies its hard, as everything is tailored to high humidity environments.

that why my first ever planted tank failed (7 years ago), to dry for the plants as i had followed a dart frog guide.

jay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts