Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I currently use paper as a substrate because its quick to clean but want something nicer to look at in the tank and something more comfortable. I went to the pet shop and saw the prices of a few bark chips and they were over the top high and also loads were pine chips and i hear they are bad???

Anyway, Is this suitable or a no no?

B&Q Play Area Bark 56L, 0000003717677

If its ok, should i zap it in the microwave for a few mins to be safe?

thanks

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ignore me, it bloody says pine bark on the page lol

Back toot drawing board.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm...

Anyone know if all of these kinds of bark are pine/unsafe?

bark

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think pine is toxic to be honest. But I'm sure someone on here mentioned B & Q bark the other day. Maybe something like this? B&Q Large Chipped Bark 100L, 0000003717530
Yeah damn reptiles.... cant handle pine for the sake of our wallets lol. Its weird because they sell pine wood chips in pet shops labled for reptiles which is kind of dumb.

I think I will just leave him on paper rather than risk anything

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Yeah damn reptiles.... cant handle pine for the sake of our wallets lol. Its weird because they sell pine wood chips in pet shops labled for reptiles which is kind of dumb.

Thanks for the help
You could always take each piece of bark out an individually varnish it...

·
Registered
600 Posts

Thanks for the help
Agreed! Is it specifically stated somewhere on the packaging that the chips are definitely made of pine wood?!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed! Is it specifically stated somewhere on the packaging that the chips are definitely made of pine wood?!
Yeah the shop packs them themselves i think. It says on a little lable, pine chips suitable for reptiles, then the weight and price.

And im sure i have seen pine chips made by a company for reptiles. I will have to take the name down when i go again.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'm pretty sure orchid bark is made of pine too but people still use it. Its called orchid bark because people use it for keeping humidity up for their orchids.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts