Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube - Sick Regalis

Any ideas why this is happening? Is it just down to old age? Never really read about illness in spiders (or any inverts) before.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I can't remember it's name but it's a disease/syndrome/illness that affects T's and is terminal . As far as I know the cause is unknown and there's no cure .

It's called dyskonesia or something .

·
Registered
888 Posts
I can't remember it's name but it's a disease/syndrome/illness that affects T's and is terminal . As far as I know the cause is unknown and there's no cure .

It's called dyskonesia or something .

Dyskenetic syndrome.: victory:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this happen to T's in the wild as well? Or is it a captive thing?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Not too sure, i think it's unknown, so far they think the only reason for it could be chemicals etc in the air.

So i've heard anyway.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any slight ideas what's actually happening? Looks like it's not even controlling itself at all. How much longer does a T last after this sets in?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Any slight ideas what's actually happening? Looks like it's not even controlling itself at all. How much longer does a T last after this sets in?
To which one? The first one, no idea. The spider was euthanised shortly after the video was filmed.
The second one, unfortunately as far as I am aware no one knows what causes it.
Interesting thread here:
dyskinetic syndrome - Arachnoboards
And here:
Dyskinetic Syndrome - Arachnophiles Forum

BTS server is too busy atm to see the forum, but I advise having a search on there as well.

Oh my God that poor baby! :( That actually made me cry :(
Which one?

I find them both sad... but seeing a T with dyskinetic syndrome is absolutely heartbreaking :cry:

·
Registered
888 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Actually, from what i've seen/heard Dyskinetic syndrome is a widespread word for several problems seen in both videos.

I may be wrong like, but if you look all over youtube, forums, it seems people's views vary.
I think you'll find is that when people see their T behaving strangely they often assume it is what is described as 'dyskinetic syndrome', when it is something else. Have a read of those links I posted, both of those refer to actual research that has been done into this symptom/condition, and when the server isn't too busy have a look the the British Tarantula Society forum.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think you'll find is that when people see their T behaving strangely they often assume it is what is described as 'dyskinetic syndrome', when it is something else. Have a read of those links I posted, both of those refer to actual research that has been done into this symptom/condition, and when the server isn't too busy have a look the the British Tarantula Society forum.
I wasn't disagreeing mate. :)

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
They both seem like Dyskinetic problems, but the video in the second like with the spasming, fast, yet chaotic attempt to walk seems to be the one people call Dyskinetic syndrome for Tarantulas. The first one could simply how it effects arboreals, with their slightly different leg structure? Or just some other problem. I'd imagine it's toxins that cause that kind of thing if a sling isn't born with the problem.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
They both seem like Dyskinetic problems, but the video in the second like with the spasming, fast, yet chaotic attempt to walk seems to be the one people call Dyskinetic syndrome for Tarantulas. The first one could simply how it effects arboreals, with their slightly different leg structure? Or just some other problem. I'd imagine it's toxins that cause that kind of thing if a sling isn't born with the problem.
The second video is a pokie as well.

Have a read at the links I posted, very interesting reading.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
The second video is a pokie as well.

Have a read at the links I posted, very interesting reading.
is it! WTF I'm watching again I saw a Rosea or something.

EDIT:...wow so it is, and the link even says so, I need an eye test!

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Just in general terms here, but it is known that certain orders of arachnids suffer from "senility". That could explain some of the less definite dyskinetic syndrome behaviours.

Weygoldt describes pseudoscorpions becoming senile with increasing age - they tend to fall about more, lose coordination and become "grumpty" (i.e the normally rather socially tolerant species become cannabalistic in old age).

It also happens in Opiliones, where you find animals that are quite old have difficultly coordinating their spindly legs and will often drown trying to get a drink...

It could happen in a similar fashion in arachnids, which could explain some of the cases where tarantulas behave in an unusual manner that is not quite the same as true dsykinetic syndrome.

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
We had a T.blondi that recently died from this, it movements were very similar to the miranda in the second video. It gradually got worse over time and then we found it dead one afternoon :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts