Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have 3 dogs and when I let them in the garden previously they would bark as they ran to the end of my garden and then stop.
I've been trying out something Kare suggested to stop my dogs barking, have been letting the dominant one in the garden first and when he starts to pee I let the others out and it has been working so well!
I have also been exercising my dogs more so they don't have as much excitement to go outside and it's doing the job.

A lady from the council knocked yesterday and told me I had to get rid of two of my dogs after complaints that they continually bark for hours after midnight which upset me to no end because I never let them out later than 11pm and NEVER let them bark continually! Plus, I have never received any letters of warning or even been told their was a problem!

I have one nasty neighbour who nobody gets on with because he verbally abuses everyone over everything and always moans about my dogs (amongst many other things) and he often leaves me in tears.
Recently my mum got annoyed after he accused me of sratching his car and called me some very rude names so she had a massive row with him. Two weeks later the council are on my back!

My other neighbours who live closer than him always tell me how good my dogs are and how quiet they are!

Sorry for the long post people. Can anyone suggest what I should do please?
I am home all day so I know they don't bark excessively. Why aren't the council setting up recordings etc? I thought that was routine in noise complaints?
Also, I am allowed pets where I live and have been here a year and half.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Has she left any paper work? It all sounds very dodgy. I would even doubt the person was really from the council.

If there is no rule against you having three dogs in your deeds/rental agreement and no proof they are a problem then I cannot see that any proper channels would be able to tell you on a whim to get rid of them.

Talk to the local council help section (most have some clinic type affair in local offices where you can go and discuss things) or maybe the citizens advice bureau, are the first things I can think of.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
I would go around to the council offices and ask to speak to someone about the situation. Ask why you haven't been given any formal letter regarding the situation or been properly interviewed about the complaint to give your answers, including why no-one has spoken to your neighbours, who would confirm that your dogs don't bark. Then you'll find out if the woman was genuine or not.

Either way I don't see how they can just tell you that you have to get rid of your dogs without making sure the complaint was genuine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
having previously complained about one of my neighbours, im led to believe first step is always that you get warning of the complaint.

then you get the complaint investigated properly if complaints continue.

they definitely do not turn up on the back of one complaint and tell you to get rid of 2 dogs. unless you are in breach of your agreement by having more than one?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She is definitely from the council because she has visited me before to do a tennant check a few months back. She is the new housing officer for my area.
I said to her that it's the first I've heard of it from the council and that I've had no letters and she said that it is also the first she had heard of it yesterday from her manager but that she was told to tell me to get rid of them!
I asked her where she expected my dogs to go and she looked confused at my question and just replied "well a dog home" like it wasn't even a big deal!
I told her that the suggestion was ridiculous but she said I might end up in court if I don't so here we are...

·
Registered
886 Posts
I know it's a bit of a blunt suggestion... but maybe move?

You have a horrible neighbour for starters, so you'd probably be happier in a new area anyway.

·
Registered
584 Posts
She is definitely from the council because she has visited me before to do a tennant check a few months back. She is the new housing officer for my area.
I said to her that it's the first I've heard of it from the council and that I've had no letters and she said that it is also the first she had heard of it yesterday from her manager but that she was told to tell me to get rid of them!
I asked her where she expected my dogs to go and she looked confused at my question and just replied "well a dog home" like it wasn't even a big deal!
I told her that the suggestion was ridiculous but she said I might end up in court if I don't so here we are...
Maybe her manager is a friend of your neighbor?

As stated, seek further advice from the Council and the CAB. Get as much advice and info on it as you can.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yesterday I also asked another guy from the council who I saw outside if me having my dogs was a problem and he said that because I have a garden I'm allowed dogs, he also told me to ignore the housing officer!
I think the housing officer is a bit of a goody two shoes because she is new at her job, I got the impression the other council guy was laughing at her if you know what I mean?
I obviously can't just ignore it though because it's stressing me out.
My dogs are all little, a JRT, Yorkie cross and my chihuahua puppy, all yappy breeds but not yappy individuals at all.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
We have issues with our neighbours too and we were reported for the dog barking at stupid hours constantly. The report was taken and we received a letter as a warning, second report and someone came round asking if they could fit recording devices in our garden to monitor the barking, after a week they came and took the boxes, and did all the usual nonsense with them. After proofing our dog only barked when she first went out, they left the matter. A third report actually got our neighbours a warning for wasting council time, the council guy also spoke to our other neighbours and asked if they'd heard anything.
I'd personally want to know why they've resorted straight to rehoming and not done all that first, sounds a bit dodgy to me!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it's a bit of a blunt suggestion... but maybe move?

You have a horrible neighbour for starters, so you'd probably be happier in a new area anyway.
I will do this if it continues. But who's to say I wont get another moany neighbour? Really considering this though.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have issues with our neighbours too and we were reported for the dog barking at stupid hours constantly. The report was taken and we received a letter as a warning, second report and someone came round asking if they could fit recording devices in our garden to monitor the barking, after a week they came and took the boxes, and did all the usual nonsense with them. After proofing our dog only barked when she first went out, they left the matter. A third report actually got our neighbours a warning for wasting council time, the council guy also spoke to our other neighbours and asked if they'd heard anything.
I'd personally want to know why they've resorted straight to rehoming and not done all that first, sounds a bit dodgy to me!
I read up on my councils website and this is what is supposed to happen. Thats why I don't get why they are being so nasty. I'm a 'good tennant' apart from this. I get on with all my other neighbours, pay my rent in advance etc.

I'm gonna give them a call today and find out why they haven't followed procedure.

The manager was on my road a few days ago seeing someone else so I wonder if my nasty neighbour has pulled him up and had a moan.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
This is the route I would expect any council to follow to be honest. I don't see how they can receive a complaint and act on it immediately without checking that the complaint is genuine? :crazy:

I wouldn't phone them though, I would go around and sit face to face and ask these questions. I'd take a list of all the questions you want to ask, based on all the information you've been given here and make sure you get answers to all of them. If she still maintains that she's right to tell you to get rid of your dogs, then tell her you'll go to the local paper and tell them how shoddily you've been treated.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Did you get the name of the housing officer? If so then I would lodge a complaint against her with the council, if nothing else she is clearly not following the correct procedure.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really bad at confrontation normally, I might get myself in a state if I go there?
I like your idea though, I'm going to write a list of Q's to ask them then try and get the nerve to go down there.
Think my neighbour picks on me more because I'm the quiet neighbour who he can upset easily, especially when it comes to my animals.
Not too long ago someone left the gate in my garden open and my JRT went missing. I found him a couple hours later not too far away, but I honestly believe it was him. This is what I'm dealing with! lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get the name of the housing officer? If so then I would lodge a complaint against her with the council, if nothing else she is clearly not following the correct procedure.
Will this not just make the council treat me worse? I only ask because I want them to leave me alone, not draw more attention to myself?
Although, I will complain if necessary?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It may also be worth asking your other neighbors if they would be willing to give statements on your dogs as well, then when you go to talk to the people at the council you will have some back up.

Reactions: Myth

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Why should they treat you any differently if you've done nothing wrong?

If the housing officer has stepped outside of her jurisdiction then that's something the council ought to know about, for all you know she might do this sort of thing all the time and have had other complaints, and the council can't do anything to you just for complaining anyway.

Or you could just sit back and let this woman dictate to you...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It may also be worth asking your other neighbors if they would be willing to give statements on your dogs as well, then when you go to talk to the people at the council you will have some back up.
well my next door neighbour said to send the council to him and he will back me up, but he is on holiday for two weeks from this saturday!
I have a neighbour the other side who is a disabled man who is always home and I know he would back me up because I have always knocked to see if they have been too noisy and he says not at all! I might go speak to him now actually.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
well my next door neighbour said to send the council to him and he will back me up, but he is on holiday for two weeks from this saturday!
I have a neighbour the other side who is a disabled man who is always home and I know he would back me up because I have always knocked to see if they have been too noisy and he says not at all! I might go speak to him now actually.
Good idea, always helps to have people to back you up :2thumb:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts