Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a couple of pics of my burm, Sirius last night. He's now 2.28m long:

I also took a pic of my Yellow Annie, Nagini (or Mrs Angry as she is nicknamed!). She's still got a big attitude problem, but sometimes pauses before attacking me!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Awesome snakes :) Theres a couple of yellow annies in my local shop, ones been there for 2 years, feel sorry for him, he'd have a nice time with me :D

How are they temperament wise?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome snakes :) Theres a couple of yellow annies in my local shop, ones been there for 2 years, feel sorry for him, he'd have a nice time with me :D

How are they temperament wise?
They're gorgeous snakes and a species that I've wanted to keep for quite a while.

Temperament-wise, she may be quite small, gut she's already a handful. She strikes at absolutely anything - a hand, a glove - even the walls of the faunarium she's kept in at the moment, when you put her back. Even when she's fed, she will just strike at the food, rather than grabbing it. She will only eat it, if she is drop fed.

I've seen plenty of defensive snakes, but few that are as openly aggressive as a Yellow Annie (a few retics, afrocks and bloods come to mind). She doesn't just wait until she feels threatened, but will seek out and attack. I'd like to at least try to calm her down with regular handling, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to live with it. I've seen tame Yellows, but I think it's not always possible. I've got two Tokay Geckos that get very stressed when handled. They're still very defensive, so I only handle them when it's absolutely necessary. If that's the same with the Annie, then so be it. Lots of other people do the same.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
both amazing, especially love the anaconda 8) :2thumb:

Reactions: Jeffers3

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
They're gorgeous snakes and a species that I've wanted to keep for quite a while.

Temperament-wise, she may be quite small, gut she's already a handful. She strikes at absolutely anything - a hand, a glove - even the walls of the faunarium she's kept in at the moment, when you put her back. Even when she's fed, she will just strike at the food, rather than grabbing it. She will only eat it, if she is drop fed.

I've seen plenty of defensive snakes, but few that are as openly aggressive as a Yellow Annie (a few retics, afrocks and bloods come to mind). She doesn't just wait until she feels threatened, but will seek out and attack. I'd like to at least try to calm her down with regular handling, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to live with it. I've seen tame Yellows, but I think it's not always possible. I've got two Tokay Geckos that get very stressed when handled. They're still very defensive, so I only handle them when it's absolutely necessary. If that's the same with the Annie, then so be it. Lots of other people do the same.
Sounds like some fun! I'd love a green, but cant due to space and whatnot. Defintely a species id like to keep in the future

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Dont care much for the first one, but the anaconda is really beautiful. They get to bulky for my liking, but the pattern and the attitude is right up my street!
Do you find him/her in its water bowl most of the time?

Tom

·
Registered
888 Posts
Unfortunately young yellows that behave like that very rarely calm down- they tend to be born either very placid or an absolue nightmare and they don't really change ! It will calm to an extent in that it won't go for you every time you go near it- but it will spaz out, bite and musk regulary and will never be completely trustworthy!!! This really isnt a problem with a small snake but it becomes really boring and a real chore maintaing them when they reach adult sizes esp the constant musking and pissing/shitting!! Try your absolute best to handle it as much as is humanly possible at this size - you will get bitten, musked and shat on hundreds of times but it is the only way you are going to get it to tolerate you and make it manageable when its bigger! Good luck

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Unfortunately young yellows that behave like that very rarely calm down- they tend to be born either very placid or an absolue nightmare and they don't really change ! It will calm to an extent in that it won't go for you every time you go near it- but it will spaz out, bite and musk regulary and will never be completely trustworthy!!! This really isnt a problem with a small snake but it becomes really boring and a real chore maintaing them when they reach adult sizes esp the constant musking and pissing/shitting!! Try your absolute best to handle it as much as is humanly possible at this size - you will get bitten, musked and shat on hundreds of times but it is the only way you are going to get it to tolerate you and make it manageable when its bigger! Good luck
Sounds like fun!,,

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Are either coming to the meets this year jeff?
sirus looks like hes getting bigger.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are either coming to the meets this year jeff?
sirus looks like hes getting bigger.
Sirius will be along next Python night after this one. I've arranged to bring my florida king, Fleur, along this time.

I've only had Nagini a month, so she won't be along until the summer.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to give it a try, but I'm also not convinced she will calm down, either. I'm already working out management strategies for when she's bigger. I know a few people who have experience with aggressive adult yellows - and they still have all their body parts intact! I'm going to chat to them.

·
Registered
888 Posts
It's not a problem when they get large as generally they don't get that big and their bites arent particulary bad - but it does get very annoying if every time you take them out you get shat,pissed and musked on!!!! I'm sure if you persevere with it enough when it is young you will be able get it to tolerate being handled far better when it's older- i can almost guarantee it will have it's moments when it shits,musks and bites but if it is only intermittently it's not an issue- the musk really does stink and nothing gets rid of that smell for days!!!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Skysnake- he's not the exception but it is unusual.Over the years I have had and have still got a couple of unbelievably calm yellows- but they are rare,90-95 % of them are complete arseholes that just don't get better as they get older. Why they are such a pain in the arse I have no idea? It seems to be the same in the wild- I've caught a few in brazil that were all savage but there are pictures of locals playing with some wild ones that look amazingly calm!! If you give me an incredibly aggro baby green I can almost guarantee with regular handling it will settle down, if you give me an incredibly aggro baby yellow I can almost guarantee it won't- go figure???

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not a problem when they get large as generally they don't get that big and their bites arent particulary bad - but it does get very annoying if every time you take them out you get shat,pissed and musked on!!!! I'm sure if you persevere with it enough when it is young you will be able get it to tolerate being handled far better when it's older- i can almost guarantee it will have it's moments when it shits,musks and bites but if it is only intermittently it's not an issue- the musk really does stink and nothing gets rid of that smell for days!!!

So far, it's just striking and biting. No musking or other excrement as yet. Looks like I've got something else to look forward to!

Look forward to chatting about progress (or lack of :gasp:).

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont care much for the first one, but the anaconda is really beautiful. They get to bulky for my liking, but the pattern and the attitude is right up my street!
Do you find him/her in its water bowl most of the time?

Tom
The water bowl is hollow underneath (Wilkinsons), so she's either underneath it or in it a lot of the time. She likes to use the water bowl as a toilet, so that needs to be checked / emptied regularly - especially as it doesn't seem to bother her to bathe in it when it's full of poo!

Reactions: stark

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still think you're mad!
Quite probably!

I've wanted a Yellow Annie for ages, though. I know it's unlikely to become totally trustworthy, so if I want a "cuddly snake" - I've always got Sirius! :lol2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts