Reptile Forums banner

Courier livestock service

10K views 84 replies 25 participants last post by  purejurrasic 
#1 ·
I have been thinking, seems to me that there is a possible need for a livestock courier service that is accessible to everyone.

This is only an idea, if any one's interested let me know as I can arrange for livestock collections and deliveries nationwide via a fully legal livestock courier service.

Third party collection and deliveries can be arranged by myself on my livestock courier account. I get a surcharge applied for third party collection deliveries. Hence prices are higher than if I were to courier livestock direct.

OK, So here are details:

Next day standard delivery anywhere UK mainland: £35, numerous herps may be in box, just the one courier price price of £35.

Next day standard delivery: Collections can be made Monday through to and including Thursday.

Deliveries: Can be made Tuesday through to and including Friday.

Standard collection times: anytime between 9-5pm.

Standard Delivery times: anywhere between 9am -6pm

Timed deliveries: can be arranged for example deliver before 9am, before 10.30am, before noon. Prices on request.

Saturday Deliveries: can be arranged prices on request.

I can supply Polly boxes and heat packs. Polly box standard size 40cm's length, 30cm's depth and height 28cm;s £1.50 each plus postage. Heat packs £1.75 plus postage. I can also advise on the safe packaging of livestock.

How it works:

You contact me and I will arrange the collection and delivery. I confirm the price and details with you, you need to give me full collection address, name and contact number plus parcel measurements and weight, and the delivery address, name and contact number.

I require payment in full before I will arrange the collection / delivery. Email receipt confirming details and payment made will be issued for your records.

It will be the responsibility of the sender to ensure the herp is packaged safely and that all boxes are clearly labelled, I can advise on this.

It will be the responsibility of the sender and receiver to ensure they are in when the courier comes to collect or deliver. A failed delivery will not be refunded.

I would ask for an arrangement fee of £7 for my time and admin, phone calls etc

I THINK THAT COVERS IT ALL :lol:

Cheers Rick.

See less See more
#3 ·
purejurrasic said:
Can I ask who is this fully legal livestock courier service.

Its an interesting idea, but need to check out the service provider first.

Thanks
Yes you can its TNT whom you need a business account with to transport livestock. As far as I am aware this is the only nationally based provider. There are of course other independent livestock courier providers but I doubt if their prices are anywhere as competitive as TNTS. Unless anyone knows any different? If so let me know as I would use them if cheaper! Remember though I am enquiring here about Legal providers!

Who do other people use, lets not include Royal Mail as this is illegal, apart from insects which can be legally sent by Royal Mail.

#5 ·
Nat said:
Hun just gota say this is a fab idea...and I for 1 will defo be using it!
Cheers Nat. Just seems to me its a devil of a job to use a livestock courier service unless your a business etc. So this limits peoples potential to sell their herps or indeed purchase herps form further afield than their locality.

Without sounding bad it does not affect me, as I am lucky enough to have use of this service irrespective, which is what I use when I sell my captive bred herps.

It was just an idea that sprung to mind.

#8 ·
I think its a damned good idea too! Just wondering, do you have to pay to set up an account with TNT? or just prove you have a business or what?

#9 ·
basically, its exactly the same as what i have been doing for the last 6 months.

#10 ·
I think its a great idea too... Ive tried making an account with TNT but they wouldn't do it for me.... the price is definitely ok too so if it goes ahead I may be using it.

#11 ·
ok tim, the price for you would be this:-

delivery 35
polly box 1.50
heatpacks 1.75
admin fee 7

so total £45.25, that sound about right?

#12 ·
Yeah that sounds ok..... Ive seen it a little cheaper though... but its better than some places ive seen.

#13 ·
thats about right mate..

#15 ·
Don't forget this is for third party collections and deliveries, when I send out herps I charge the customer a flat rate of £20 for standard next day service. But I get charged extra by the courier for third party collections and deliveries. I would love to be able to offer it cheaper but I am not going to diddle myself or support illegal methods of herp transport, at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

You would be surprised at the amount of folk who to save a quid or two will accept illegal methods of delivery! Where is the concern for the herp in that? I would prefer to lose business than go down this route.

As I said its an idea and if it helps folk all well and good if not then fine, we all have a choice at the end of the day.

If and when the animal transport laws change next year you may well be expecting to pay a lot lot more than this for herp transport!

Anyway the service is available right now so if anyone is interested then please contact me. This is aimed at those selling their herps who have no way of obtaining transport! and for those wishing to purchase herps from private sellers.

As stated yes courier will be cheaper if you buy direct from a business but this is third party collection and delivery as stated where I get charged surcharges. I need to make that clear. To prevent any confusion! :lol:

#16 ·
That sounds great! I'm a Dragon Breeder and i'm constantly being asked if i courier, but once again, i can not get a TNT account as i'm not a business.

If you do go ahead with this idea can you PM me and i can keep you in mind for when i get asked for courier service.

Many Thanks

Becky

#20 ·
hehe yep!

I have a 3 year old boy, loads of Beardie babies and I'm 8 months pregnant with a girl!.

I've emailed the guy enquiring about courier service and i'm just waiting for a reply but yeah if you can pm me your details and i can keep them somewhere safe for when i get more enquiries about courier services!.

#21 ·
the reptile taxi

the reptile taxi is a legal reptile courier service, with insurance for the reptiles we carry, also ASSURANCE that the reptile will be treated as a living breathing animal, not a parcel or package. we will also ensure that the reptile is packaged properly with heat supplied by us if necessary at no extra cost, we do one job at a time e.g pick up rep. deliver rep. nothing in between. we also guarantee sameday delivery with specified time of arrival(unless journey is too long then we have the facilities to house overnight, in a viv not a warehouse. as for number of reptiles we can carry, it will be as many as we can safely transport at one time and the cost is for the journey not the number of animals/equipment that we carry. our costs may seem a little higher than TNT but we are a small company just setting out, trying to offer a service with piece of mind aswell as delivering reptiles in a safe and secure environment.
obviously some people are happy with the service TNT provide, others as noted in previous threads on this forum and others are not. that is why we set up our own courier service, we have many reptiles and amphibians ourselves and could see the need for a reliable, safe service run by someone who cares for the reps and not the paycheck.

#22 ·
Yes a good idea indeed, I also agree that the herp is not seen as just a package and a parcel and a paycheck. Are you running this scheme as a profit making business?

I am also highly interested to know your charges are you willing to go public with this and post them on here? I am sure that would be great for your scheme / business and for folk to judge for themselves.

Its good to see other methods being made available for transporting herps. The more the merrier in my view. As this competition will help reduce costs and prevent any monopolies. So how will the new laws affect your scheme / business.

I am very interested in this as I know other folk setting up similar schemes. Also from my point of view I would love to see more choice for everyone. I think its great that you are happy to share openly your service and relevant information.

If its a better quality service and the rates are not extortionate then I would use a different service provider if beat my present provider. At present TNT does have the monopoly and the majority of the herp trade for delivery etc. So good to see any viable competition out there. Look forward to seeing your rates.

Competition is healthy, luckily I am not a service provider in this field so am glad to see as much competition as possible! :lol:

I am a private reptile hobbyist / breeder, and require the use of some form of legal livestock courier service, I am lucky that I can legally send my herps out. My offer was to try and help those that could not access such a service. As pointed out there is a gap out there for such a service. I am however interested realistically to see when it comes down to it how much folk are really willing to pay for a courier service? One poster has already stated that they would not pay the costs I quoted. Do you think it would be private individuals that would use your service, is this your target audience? Or have you also been approaching established businesses?

The emotive factor and comments such as; herps, care, respect for the herp etc are all very good standards and morals, I agree with them, I would also suggest that the majority of herp keepers and those wanting a courier service are also very caring about their herps. No one has the monopoly on care either. As long as such statements are not used to make owners feel guilty if they do not use a specific service, as this would be emotive sales tactics, I hasten to add I am in no way accusing you of using such methodology. Just highlighting the use of such tactics.

Like You, its not about a paycheck is it!

All the best with your venture I wish you every success! Rick

#26 ·
Out of interest, I sent one of my captive bred chameleons to Aberdean including heat pack poly box etc etc for £20 as was a direct sale from me to buyer and not third party delivery.

How much would the reptile taxi charge for this approx? Do you do nationwide delivery?

I ask as am interested for business purposes. Are you happy to answer my previous questions please? If not I understand and no worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.