Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
It's sad that to begin with the Tories seemed to be doing so well, yet now its starting to unravel.

The PPE from Turkey debacle for a start. The government claiming it was being sent on Sunday, yet it hadn't even been ordered!

British companies with huge supplies of PPE desperate to sell to the NHS at cost price yet for some reason the government dont want to know!

I am supplied with 4 masks which get replaced when used. The Home Office have said they are made to last a full 8 hour shift.

Odd then that when I have to do a bed watch at the hospital I get asked by a nurse how long I have had it on for as they are good for 3 hours max!

It's also increasingly embarrassing when we turn up to a job with better PPE than the paramedics.

Interesting... I’ve spent a lot of time scouring the internet for info on this virus .. and watched loads of stuff on telly and listened to hours of chat on the radio ... this is what other seemingly knowledgeable people are saying....

~~~~~

As regards those companies who claimed to have offered loads of PPE to the government but were turned down ...

Supposedly SOME of them didn’t even have any equipment at all they were actually just agents / middle men who were actually trying to get big orders and were then going to buy the PPE off someone else to sell to the government at considerable profit .. some of others only had relatively small stocks to sell and as such simply disregarded as the government needed to buy huge quantities .

There were many who actually had decent amounts of PPE but they wanted around TWENTY times the actual value and were simply offering their stuff to everyone and getting them to bid against each other ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
In all reality the herd immunity is happening whether anyone likes it or not. Until there is a vaccine there is no other way. I am sorry that people cannot see this but it is true. The Government are trying to reduce the number of people infected until the NHS can cope. There is no other way of coping with this disease and I`m sorry it you dont believe it.

In all reality the government has coped as best as it can . No Government whether blue or red would have coped any better, Even Tony Blair agreed on that earlier in the week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's a novel virus Colin, no one knows if herd immunity is occurring, so stop spreading unfounded claims. Researchers believe it may provide a weak immune response,no where near to a vaccine response, that any immunity is temporary and can be contracted again, and the damage to bodily organs is severe on one bout of infection.Heart, lungs, liver, all buggered. One of the reasons your words are dangerous.
I don't believe it because what you say is simply not true or not known.

This government failed And it really could have done better. The herd immunity experiment was just that, a lethal experiment.
And I really don't give 'two hoots' what Tony bloody Blair thinks.

Are you in the UK Colin? US strains of Covid may be less damaging. Researchers have apparently identified 30, which is up from the 3 they indentified weeks before. Another reason your unfounded claims are dangerous, because you dont seem to understand the potential for mutation, or the speed, or the danger.
You really need to think before you post this crap and stop yourself.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
I am not spreading crap Dean. The Government has done as well as any government has. Look at Italy, France , Spain and America. The only two countries that seem to have come out of it any better are New Zealand and Germany for the time being.The government have got some thing s wrong such as testing and PPE but look at the new hospitals being set up the furlough scheme and the billions of pounds injected into the economy.
As for the herd immunity of course ot is a new virus but that's what happens with all diseases until a vaccine is found. Its seems a contagious disease but the death rate isn't as high as SARS . So let's have enough of the political point scoring as we can all be brilliant arm chair Prime ministers.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Anyone recall when we were having all those 'drills' in the U.K in relation to a possible terrorist chemical warfare attack ?

At that time the government created a giant stock of PPE in readiness for any such attacks , the problem is each successive government let that stock deplete.
Being the penny pinching fools they generally are , these governments just simply let this occur whilst simultaneously not replenishing this stock pile.

End result we are now at the mercy of other countries for this obviously vital kit , its all quite ridiculous really isn't it ?

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
I am not spreading crap Dean. The Government has done as well as any government has. Look at Italy, France , Spain and America. The only two countries that seem to have come out of it any better are New Zealand and Germany for the time being.The government have got some thing s wrong such as testing and PPE but look at the new hospitals being set up the furlough scheme and the billions of pounds injected into the economy.
As for the herd immunity of course ot is a new virus but that's what happens with all diseases until a vaccine is found. Its seems a contagious disease but the death rate isn't as high as SARS . So let's have enough of the political point scoring as we can all be brilliant arm chair Prime ministers.
Let's not forget Australia. A seriously low number of deaths. 74 I think? Because they shut down so much quicker than any other country. It has been reported that the UK Government lost 5 vital days at the start of this outbreak by not taking enough action.
I'm not so sure either about the death rate. In the UK, based on the official published figures of confirmed cases and deaths, we are sitting at around a 10% death rate.
The virus spreads rapidly and can be spread by patients who have no symptoms, a pretty unique situation. This is why it is such a threat.
Globally we are now facing a depression. Not a recession, a depression. One predicted to be worse than the Great Depression. Businesses destroyed. Jobs and livelihoods lost forever. People isolated for extended periods of time, lonely, and facing increasing battles with physical and mental health.
The impact of this virus is set to stay with us for generations.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Anyone recall when we were having all those 'drills' in the U.K in relation to a possible terrorist chemical warfare attack ?

At that time the government created a giant stock of PPE in readiness for any such attacks , the problem is each successive government let that stock deplete.
Being the penny pinching fools they generally are , these governments just simply let this occur whilst simultaneously not replenishing this stock pile.

End result we are now at the mercy of other countries for this obviously vital kit , its all quite ridiculous really isn't it ?
I think that the problem is that they were overwhelmed by the amount required. We rely too much on cheap imports from abroad. Its a terrible situation and I feel for anyone on the "front line".

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
Let's not forget Australia. A seriously low number of deaths. 74 I think? Because they shut down so much quicker than any other country. It has been reported that the UK Government lost 5 vital days at the start of this outbreak by not taking enough action.
I'm not so sure either about the death rate. In the UK, based on the official published figures of confirmed cases and deaths, we are sitting at around a 10% death rate.
The virus spreads rapidly and can be spread by patients who have no symptoms, a pretty unique situation. This is why it is such a threat.
Globally we are now facing a depression. Not a recession, a depression. One predicted to be worse than the Great Depression. Businesses destroyed. Jobs and livelihoods lost forever. People isolated for extended periods of time, lonely, and facing increasing battles with physical and mental health.
The impact of this virus is set to stay with us for generations.
You are right Ian. The economic impacts are certainly going to go on for years. I doubt that I will see the economy pick up within my working life. The strange thing is that I believe the western nations, or those with a welfare state will be in a bad way. I reckon China ( no conspiracy theory here) is best placed to pick up the pieces assuming the world still trades with them.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
In all reality the government has coped as best as it can . No Government whether blue or red would have coped any better, Even Tony Blair agreed on that earlier in the week.

I have no political affiliations and that’s pretty much my take on things as well.

I’m actually amazed how much Boris and his lot have achieved especially in such a short time ..given how long every previous government over about 50 years took to make the slightest possible change or improvements..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sweden's death rate is exceeding 10% (source, John Hopkins) and they still have no idea if or when you lauded bullshit 'herd immunity' will kick in, nor or any idea how long such immunity would last. It's a wonderfully lethal experiment for the rest of the world to follow, for Sweden its just lethal.
You're talking crap, utter crap Colin. Please for God sake stop shilling. Word from my mother this morning is that Millie, in her Welsh hospital, says its 'absolutely awfu here'. Thats not politics, that's just one clinician speaking as she finds.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.