Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys please help I Have been so heart broken and don’t know what to do. I got gifted a baby crested gecko September first last year. I’m assuming he was born July or August but he only weighs 8.6g. The temp ranges from 70-75 (night and day through out the seasons) and humidity about 70-80. sometimes it drops to 60 for a few hours for a dry out due to the plants and soil. I feed him the red Pangea with insects and occasionally the watermelon, I see him every other day, should it be every day? And I give him crickets about every 2 weeks. I’m going to start expanding his insects I should have a while ago and that was my fault. Also what’s your guys take on fruits I would love to give him real food other then powdered but I’ve read it’s not good to give them mashed fruits.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Every gecko grows at their own rate. Any images of him/her?
Pangea every other day, try the silver growth one, helps them grow, you can mix in with the ones he/she likes too.
And crickets or other insects should be dusted with calcium should be given ATLEAST once a week, ideally twice. All my cresties have crickets twice/ 3 times a week, they love crickets and will eat a load when fed! So defo do twice a week!
Mashed fruits are fine also. Mine like banana, mango, papaya etc :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pangea every other day, try the silver growth one, helps them grow, you can mix in with the ones he/she likes too.
And crickets or other insects should be dusted with calcium should be given ATLEAST once a week, ideally twice. All my cresties have crickets twice/ 3 times a week, they love crickets and will eat a load when fed! So defo do twice a week!

Hmm I haven’t seen the silver but I will definitely get on that! I’ve heard of this other one, Arcadia I believe. What’s your take on it? But yes I always dust calcium with d3 on them! I didn’t know i should feed him crickets so often! I’ve been so confused because for the first 5 months I was convinced by many people it should be 1 a month!! Which probably stunted his growth 😔 but I was gifted him so I couldn’t do all the research I would typically do before owning a new pet. How often do you recommend feeding mashed fruits ? Also I can upload pictures of him! Let me figure out how to lol I’ve never used this before

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hmm I haven’t seen the silver but I will definitely get on that! I’ve heard of this other one, Arcadia I believe. What’s your take on it? But yes I always dust calcium with d3 on them! I didn’t know i should feed him crickets so often! I’ve been so confused because for the first 5 months I was convinced by many people it should be 1 a month!! Which probably stunted his growth but I was gifted him so I couldn’t do all the research I would typically do before owning a new pet. How often do you recommend feeding mashed fruits ? Also I can upload pictures of him! Let me figure out how to lol I’ve never used this before
Yeah it is brilliant and we have all our hatchlings on it.
Not tried that, I’ve tried repashy but we stick to Pangea now as personally think it’s the best brand.
Yeah most of their diet in the wild is actually bugs so twice a week is best!
Blimey who told you that! Not enough at all, but luckily now you know and can help him grow
I give mashed fruit couple times a month, they like it as a treat but not all the time I’ve found as would rather have the Pangea!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
To be honest for a 10 month old gecko he/she looks fine. Not skinny, and size wise for the age ideal.
Just up the crickets and try the growth feed to put some weight on.
But in all honesty it looks to be in perfect health
I have a 2 year old here at 28g. She’s long and slender. But not skinny and perfectly healthy just slow growing, and I have another 2 year old here at 55+ who’s a big chunk and grows like a weed!
Your guy will just be a slow grower (weight wise) which some are and I’ve come across my fair share of them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it is brilliant and we have all our hatchlings on it.
Not tried that, I’ve tried repashy but we stick to Pangea now as personally think it’s the best brand.
Yeah most of their diet in the wild is actually bugs so twice a week is best!
Blimey who told you that! Not enough at all, but luckily now you know and can help him grow
I give mashed fruit couple times a month, they like it as a treat but not all the time I’ve found as would rather have the Pangea!

Well thank you so much! I’m about to give him some papaya now! Sorry for all the questions but I’ve been very unlucky with who I have talked to so far, either mean people or just telling me b.s! So last questions before I leave you be lol. What’s your take on water bowls, I never saw him drink so I stuck to just heavily misting and hoping he drinks at night. But recently since I’ve been worried about his growth I’ve been stressing about everything. Should I keep a water bowl in there? Also what other insects should I expand to since I’ve only stuck with crickets. I’ve heard so many different things about different ones! Once again so so sorry for this whole run down but it really is greatly appreciated!!<3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thank you so much! I’m about to give him some papaya now! Sorry for all the questions but I’ve been very unlucky with who I have talked to so far, either mean people or just telling me b.s! So last questions before I leave you be lol. What’s your take on water bowls, I never saw him drink so I stuck to just heavily misting and hoping he drinks at night. But recently since I’ve been worried about his growth I’ve been stressing about everything. Should I keep a water bowl in there? Also what other insects should I expand to since I’ve only stuck with crickets. I’ve heard so many different things about different ones! Once again so so sorry for this whole run down but it really is greatly appreciated!!<3
To be honest for a 10 month old gecko he/she looks fine. Not skinny, and size wise for the age ideal.
Just up the crickets and try the growth feed to put some weight on.
But in all honesty it looks to be in perfect health
I have a 2 year old here at 28g. She’s long and slender. But not skinny and perfectly healthy just slow growing, and I have another 2 year old here at 55+ who’s a big chunk and grows like a weed!
Your guy will just be a slow grower (weight wise) which some are and I’ve come across my fair share of them

Ahh i would love for mushu (my crestie) to be that big, I love big lizards and he’s actually the first reptile I’ve ever owned but crested geckos have always been my favorite. I probably won’t own another just because I get scared to house 2 together and if I were to get another cage I would like to have a different reptile as opposed to the same one. So I’m really hoping mushu can grow as big as he can ( in a healthy way )

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well thank you so much! I’m about to give him some papaya now! Sorry for all the questions but I’ve been very unlucky with who I have talked to so far, either mean people or just telling me b.s! So last questions before I leave you be lol. What’s your take on water bowls, I never saw him drink so I stuck to just heavily misting and hoping he drinks at night. But recently since I’ve been worried about his growth I’ve been stressing about everything. Should I keep a water bowl in there? Also what other insects should I expand to since I’ve only stuck with crickets. I’ve heard so many different things about different ones! Once again so so sorry for this whole run down but it really is greatly appreciated!!QUOTE]

That’s ok!
I don’t use water bowls myself as they just drink the water from misting. But some people do use them, just use a shallow lid! But if you’re misting he/she will probably drink that anyway as has been. You’ll know if not drinking and dehydrated as eyes will be sunken.
You can try locust, dubia roaches, calci worms, wax worms as a treat, even the moths they turn into your Crestie should eat! There’s white a few they enjoy, my lots fav is the cricket for sure and wax worms
Don’t be sorry! Always happy to help x

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Ahh i would love for mushu (my crestie) to be that big, I love big lizards and he’s actually the first reptile I’ve ever owned but crested geckos have always been my favorite. I probably won’t own another just because I get scared to house 2 together and if I were to get another cage I would like to have a different reptile as opposed to the same one. So I’m really hoping mushu can grow as big as he can ( in a healthy way )
No way, we have one called Mushu here also!
Age wise too you should be able to tell the sex of him for sure unless you already know defo Male!
I keep females together and males in their own vivs. There’s a lot to choose from that’s for sure!
He will get there! We have a rescue here, when we got him he was around 2 and only 18g. He’s now 35 🥲 Made me so proud as it’s been work, and at first he wasn’t even eating as he just didn’t want to, but he’s finally now a perfectly healthy boy who will eat anything we put in and not the skinny stick I rescued!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree, all Cresties grow at their own rates. I have some here a little smaller than yours and similar age and others that are bigger.

Your Crestie looks fine and cute 😁

I agree with the silver pangea and more insects, please make sure they are gut loaded insects... Shops don't feed them enough to be healthy for your Crestie.

I've seen Arcadia in shops, but I've never used it. I use Pangea and Repashy CGD.

Be careful how often and which fruit you feed your Crestie as some of them can be harmful (usually citrus fruits) while others can be the wrong ratio of what they need, but still a good treat, such as banana.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As well as the addition of live food twice a week bump your ambient temp up to 78f through the day for them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
All my Cresties have water bowls, some of them use them... Others don't but I always have shallow water in there for them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts