Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
My crestie is just under three months old and I ee that people feed them bananas now I want to provide a large diet with lots of things to eat for it. Do I mush the banana up or can I just put a few slices in the leaves?
Any help would be great,
Thanks

·
Registered
12,631 Posts
There's a lot of controversy over bananas.
They are known calcium binders - meaning the cretie can't make use of the calcium in its diet properly - so some keepers suggest using it VERY sparingly; whilst others say not to use it at all.
The one time I offered it to my crestie, I mushed it up.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Like above, the calcium to phosphorus ratio is poor in Banana.
It would be fine if people didn't rely on complete diets as much but because the diet is balance correctly it means if the ratio is effected by banana and you're using mostly complete diets it means that there is no way to make the ratio back up.
I just don't see why people feel the need to feed banana, there are so many other healthier fruits, they're not going to cry if they are restricted from having banana so why risk it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a lot of controversy over bananas.
They are known calcium binders - meaning the cretie can't make use of the calcium in its diet properly - so some keepers suggest using it VERY sparingly; whilst others say not to use it at all.
The one time I offered it to my crestie, I mushed it up.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like above, the calcium to phosphorus ratio is poor in Banana.
It would be fine if people didn't rely on complete diets as much but because the diet is balance correctly it means if the ratio is effected by banana and you're using mostly complete diets it means that there is no way to make the ratio back up.
I just don't see why people feel the need to feed banana, there are so many other healthier fruits, they're not going to cry if they are restricted from having banana so why risk it.
I was just asking as I have seen many people do this. I thought it would be fine so thought I would give it a go. Would you recommend apples over bananas then?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I havent given mine apple, not sure if it would be too acidic for them. Mine love pear, mango, peach and a very a small amount of straweberry all mashed up!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I was just asking as I have seen many people do this. I thought it would be fine so thought I would give it a go. Would you recommend apples over bananas then?
Apple is on the acidic side so I would avoid it, also I can't imagnie it mashing up very well.

How about trying Papaya?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine go crazy for mango and also like pear. Those two fruits are easy to mash up with a fork too, which is how i prepare mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This has been v.helpful for me too am getting a crestie soon and have read different things bout what fruit to feed them. :2thumb:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apple is on the acidic side so I would avoid it, also I can't imagnie it mashing up very well.

How about trying Papaya?
I see, Would you recommend another fruit?
Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine go crazy for mango and also like pear. Those two fruits are easy to mash up with a fork too, which is how i prepare mine.
Great thanks for that. I will give him some of that.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Mango, Melon, pear, kiwi, Papaya, peach, nectarine, strawberries (pretty much any berries) mush up quite well.
The CGD is supposed to be a complete balanced diet so adding in other fruits would unbalance the diet - but offering livefood does the exact same thing. Offering a lot of choice means they can decide what they want to eat, im sure they can make the decision better than we can.

Cresties seem to be pretty cautious of anything new so it may take a few days to get them interested in something, just persevere with it though.
It may be quicker to mix the CGD with the blended fruit.
You can freeze blended fruit in ice cube trays so that it lasts longer, just dont mix CGD or calcium in with it before freezing : victory:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mango, Melon, pear, kiwi, Papaya, peach, nectarine, strawberries (pretty much any berries) mush up quite well.
The CGD is supposed to be a complete balanced diet so adding in other fruits would unbalance the diet - but offering livefood does the exact same thing. Offering a lot of choice means they can decide what they want to eat, im sure they can make the decision better than we can.

Cresties seem to be pretty cautious of anything new so it may take a few days to get them interested in something, just persevere with it though.
It may be quicker to mix the CGD with the blended fruit.
You can freeze blended fruit in ice cube trays so that it lasts longer, just dont mix CGD or calcium in with it before freezing : victory:
Good idea thanks. So do you think it will not bother him eating it if it has changed(CGD)?
Regards

Reactions: weaver132

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I spoke to my reptile vet about this a while back. She said it was fine, also rang some reptile guy at London zoo who said it's fine and also in the complete rhac book it also says it's ok. Not on it's own tho as part of a mixed diet.

I use mango/banana/papaya mushed up to get hatchlings started and also once a week for adults. I always have repashy available a give them crickets 2 times a week aswell. I like to offer a mix

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ive got a rather large water melon has anyone tried cresties with this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't give bananas to your crestie forever because it could get MBD (Metallic Bone Disease)

Apples are acidic and cannot be mushed up well, so avoid those. You could always get banana flavoured repashy or clarks.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive got a rather large water melon has anyone tried cresties with this.
Do you think a chunk of water melon without the seeds would be fine then?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, I will leave the banana at the moment as I am hearing yes/no so dont really know what to do. I dont want to mix fruit in with the CGD as I dont know if he will eat it if it has changed. I use the komodo one and he seems fine with that. Water melon then??
Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Don't give bananas to your crestie forever because it could get MBD (Metallic Bone Disease)

Apples are acidic and cannot be mushed up well, so avoid those. You could always get banana flavoured repashy or clarks.
I think thats a bit of a wild statement. Maybe if thats all you fed a gecko on for an extended period of time but is there any hard evidence of this?

Why would clarks make a banana flavour if they didnt naturally eat banana in the wild?

Obviously if you have any worries then just dont feed them, as already said theres plenty of other fruits or just stick to CGD. But for me personally ive heard it from my vets mouth and read it in a published book with my own eyes. Personally i believe these sources rather than peope on the internet but that is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts