Reptile Forums banner

Crested gecko first ever vet visit

3K views 29 replies 5 participants last post by  sue59 
#1 ·
Today i took Ora my crested gecko to the vets to have her de-wormed, she was 39g two weeks ago and is now only 32g you might have read befor about her, i bought her with worms and finally got a day were i could take her to the vets. He found 2 types of worms, one was 'good' and the other was 'bad', poor girl. She wouldnt open her mouth so the de-wormer could go in so a nurse came in to help, after she turned around and bit the nurse, lovely little Ora. The visit only costed £50 including the money to get her registered there, i was expecting the price to be higher, lucky me! She goes back in 10 days for another one. I didn't know that all crested geckos had worms, but breeding can cause them to breed easier, learn something new everyday!

#6 ·
Glad to hear she's getting treated. Did the other Crested that was housed with her not need treating too or did she not end up having them?

#10 ·
After each 10 day checkup, they may suggest something different. I,e check the progress after the first 10 days, then if the worms arent improving, to then disinfect daily etc.

It should be common practice anyhow to keep things clean while animals are unwell.

#11 ·
Is she still housed with the other females?

She'll need cleaning out every day to prevent the egg cycle from continuing.

#12 ·
Until all the worms are dead they can keep reinfecting themselves from the eggs in the poo. You need to give them an environment with the least amount of foliage /logs etc ie a RUB. Everyday it all needs cleaning with a 10% bleach solution and then sprayed with a good reptile disinfectant , like F10. That way you have a chance of stopping them reinfecting. I had to treat mine for 5 days and then wait 10 days and give them 3 more days of treatment . I then waited one month before getting them re checked : victory:

#13 ·
she's housed on her own and has been since i found out she had worms, i clean her out every 2 or 3 days so there are'nt lots of worms in her tank with her, i'm not going to touch her for a few days because she went through alot of stress today and im worried incase i stress her out even more by getting her out her tank i'll the time, i'll see what they say next time i take her down :)

#16 ·
Monitor her feeding, if she doesnt seem to lose appetite then carry on how you are. If she really falls downhill, and wont eat even her favourite food, then look at providing a small amount of low UMF manuka honey for her to have a lick at.

Just keep going as you are, im sure you will notice if something is wrong. Keep to cleaning as you are unless you can clean everyday, this would obviously be better, but your doing the right thing in not stresssing her out any more. What were the things the vet suggested? Its good to ask any questions you may have at all, sometimes things can be left unmentioned.

#17 ·
The thing is, she doesn't really touch her food, the first week i had her she was eating lots of crickets and she ate double what my other 4 eat in repashy, but since then she's really gone off her food, thats why her wieghts shot right down, other than that she's happy and active, as soon as i have her in a RUB cleaning will be much easier as all my vivs are live planted and have quite alot going on in them so it take a good hour or so to clean it, a RUB won't take long and will be so much easier.
The vet told me to let her settle down, keep her on her own, monitor her feeding which i have always done with cresties and keep a close eye on her wieght, he didn't actually mention anything at all about cleaning! i'l rang a friend whos going to lend me a heat mat so i'll sort her out into her RUB tomorrow when i get home! Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!:2thumb:

#18 ·
Do as he says then, while its ok for people to advise on here (good advice at that), there may be a reason as to why hes telling you what he is. Just follow what hes saying and see whats up on the next visit. Cleaning her could just stress her out, albeit it will help with the worms.

dont suppose the vet was a young scottish guy?

#21 ·
I agree with Sue about the daily cleaning until your female is clear or you could end up going round in circles.

It would also be beneficial to give you female either Reptoboost or Avipro which will help replace the good gut bacteria that will be killed off with the treatment. It should also help with her appetite :)

#22 ·
thankyou do you know were i can get some from that isn't stupidly over priced? i think im going to try make her a mixed fruit puree tomorrow and suppliment it for her, she love the strawberry, peach and mango repashy so i might buy them fruits and see if that makes her alittle more eager :)

#24 ·
I have to be honest it is a long battle to try to get them to eat or even drink the reptiboost. Mine are still like a bag of bones and although the worms have gone I have alot of work to get them back to health.
Sorry to be the bearer of even more bad news but you need to strip the viv and get rid of all the eco earth as there will be eggs in it. I striped mine and cleaned with bleach and F10 disinfectant. Replaced all the eco earth. I cleaned all the earth off the plants and poured boiling water and scrubbed all the logs etc. You can't afford to miss one egg else it will start again.
I am not sure I got all mine but it won't be from lack of trying. Good luck its hard work but will be worth it. I had to treat 4 cresties so at least you only have one :lol2:

#25 ·
Sue did you try reptoboost baths rather than drinking water? I did this with my one that wasn't eating and he seemed to pick up by using this method :)

#26 ·
I did but when I went to my vet he said he wasn't of the opinion that they would absorb any through their skin??? so I stopped and gave it orally .I found if I turned them on theirs side and put a drop on the side of their mouths they would open up a bit and I could get the syringe in. Didn't always work but did most times. After a while they seemed to accept what was expected of them and open up :lol2:. They are back in their own viv now and I am leaving them for a week to see if they will start to eat and drink normally. If not I am back to hand feeding. Their weight is stable now but they are thin. I did loose one despite all my efforts :sad:

#29 ·
sorry to here about your loss sue:(
and yes i use F10 and i have emptyed her exo terra and made it as simple as possible because i didnt have a spare stat for a heat mat:devil: she doesn't seem to like having nothing to do but she'll have to get used to it! Thanks for all your advice and i'll keep you'se updated on hows shes doing!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.