Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Last year there was alot of controversy about green being expressed in crested gecko's. Aparently the green pigment was not present in crested gecko's genes. Since then I have came across alot of people claiming they have "GREEN" crested gecko's.

In fact I bought a breeding pair last year and one of them is definately green (the male). So I know for certain that they do exist. So why, if anyone knows, did people say it wasnt possible to get a green one?

If anyone knows please do comment : victory:

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Pictures please :)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will go take some now. He is certainly green. : victory:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
green crestie

here he is, its a shame the picture doesnt show him at his best. i woke him up so he wasnt fully fired. but even here you can see he is green.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Maybe when they said you didn't get green they meant say the green that you get in madagascan day geckos for example. As in pure green rather than khaki green?

Also, gorgeous little chunky lad!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
They are what I like to refer as "olive" .

I wouldn't really call them green, as its kinda not what most people would expect.

But I'm sure with selective breeding it could enhance over time.

·
Registered
380 Posts
what 1 person calls green another calls something else. all that matters in he end it tht you a have a cool little heathy crestie.

i have hurd his alot with leo morphs 1 persons mack snow is anothers normal etc. although from what i understand is that leos genes can be traced.

·
Registered
142 Posts
They are what I like to refer as "olive" .

I wouldn't really call them green, as its kinda not what most people would expect.

But I'm sure with selective breeding it could enhance over time.
Yes they are OLIve but really thats splitting hairs really.

folks reckon olive is a mix of black and yellow pigment, but thats only true for pigment, the reflection of light it is a mix of different colours of light, since black is not a colour

also black pigment doesnt exist anyway, its always merely a dark dark shade of either red green or blue, or a mixture of them.

Point in fact:

unless someone discovers there are 'primary green' pigment cells in cresties or manages,SOMEHOW, through silly amounts of inbreeding, to create a genetic mistake and make one, i think this is about as green as a cresty will get.

After all what use would a bright green colour be for camouflage?

So whats wrong with calling a green gecko GREEN and sod all this pedantic talk. Elitist fools :bash:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Lovely gecko Liam. I would call him olive. Some people call what i would think of as an orange, red. Each to their own.

But olive is green right? So whatever you call him, he's still lush! x

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
there have been HUGE arugements over this both in Uk and America..

I have a male exactly the same colour as this one Liam.. and I think he looks pretty green to me too.. but for the sake of gecko talk I call him an olive, the explanation is that the golds/ yellow pigments mixed with beige and browns give off a greenish hue but its not an actual GREEN pigment seemingly..

that said I cant work out why people are so hung up about not calling olives ...greens.. its caused all out forum wars on repasy and pangea...
quite mad if you ask me..

To be honest the gecko youve posted a pic of isnt an unusual colour at all ive seen a fair few that very colour..
a true green like the day gecko greens is what hasnt been seen yet in cresties...

if you want to call your crestie green fair enough.. it does look greeny yellowy olive.. and its about how you see it ..

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Nice looking little one hun, colour to me not important as long as it healthy thats all that matters.

(I thought olive was green?)

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
we have green ones too but they are normally called olive... however olive is a type of green anyway! lol

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
we have green ones too but they are normally called olive... however olive is a type of green anyway! lol
i think the arguements on the american forums are over whether true green pigment is in cresties.. people say absolutely not..

so therefore yellow and beige make up olive.. who knows LOL

anyway its easier just to say green.. it looks greenish.. so its green ..

easy

but yeah a lot of peeps have the same colour as the one in this thread... : victory:

PS.. hope ure wee uro is doing well geena

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
i think the arguements on the american forums are over whether true green pigment is in cresties.. people say absolutely not..

so therefore yellow and beige make up olive.. who knows LOL

anyway its easier just to say green.. it looks greenish.. so its green ..

easy

but yeah a lot of peeps have the same colour as the one in this thread... : victory:

PS.. hope ure wee uro is doing well geena

yea well i call them green lol.
they are dping well thanks! !!!
(new pics on the thread i made when they hatched :) )

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If we are talking breeding language and all that I refer to him as "olive" as he is described on my website. I have always classed him as olive but would personally describe as gree..

Thanks for the comments on the green topic, its something that has always interested me, surely some one will carry out a study into the pigments of crested gecko's....would love to see a "green" crestie.

I supose the "green" crestie is much like the "albino" crestie.....has anyone found any albino's in the wild yet?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand what is required to produce an albino crested gecko. Albino as a colour/ mutation in other animals is something I have studied.

The chances of breeding one is very very slim indeed. That is why I asked about wild found albino's as the chances of this are a little higher.

Thanks for the link though! Really interesting!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts