Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello! I did post this on the newbie bit but got no responses :(

i am new to the forums and was hoping for some help. i am about to embark on the crested gecko journey but before i do i want to be fully prepared and up to date. ive done loads of research and got various care sheets but there are still some un-answered Q's!! I would appreciate anyones experience to give me some help! :blush:
  1. I am going to buy an 18"x18"x24" exo terra terrarium. I am aware of the cooler temps cresties need but would like to know what sort of heating i should get. a lot fo my friends recommend heat mats which after doing some research on seems a good idea but i want to know which size/wattage i should get and where in the terrarium i should place it? some said below the subtrate as it heats the floor and therefore creates better humidity. can someone let me know where theirs is?
  2. how much food should i give them? i'm assuming the one i get will be under 4 months old, though for me i would prefer an adult. but if under 4 months, how much food should i give them? im anticipating getting cricks (dusted) in reguarly but also getting the complete diet powder, baby food and fruit but im not sure how much i should be giving. can someone let me know how much i should be giving for an under 4 month and over 4 month?
  3. what do most owners recommend as the best temps during the day and night? there are quite a few contradicting temp suggestions on my care sheets.
I hope you can help me :) Thank you

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, Cresties are fantastic little creatures!

If you're getting a 4 month old Cresties you will not need that size terrarium for a good few months. He would do just fine in a large Faunarium.

As for heating Cresties thrive at temps of between 72 and 78 in the day time and at night the temps can go down to 65. You need to make sure that the temps do not exceed 80 as anything above this can be detrimental to their health. Cresties to not cope well with high temperatures. A lot of people find that no additional heating is required for their Cresties and that room temperature is ok. What are the temps in the room where the Crestie would be kept?

I have CGD (Crested Gecko Diet) available 24/7 in a small dish for mine and then offer dusted crickets 2 or 3 times a week. The CGD is a powder which you can buy and mix with water to make the food up. It is a complete diet and Cresties can live off of this alone however I like to offer crickets to keep them entertained, they love hunting them. You will most likely not notice any CGD missing because a young Crestie eats such small amounts of it so don't worry if you can not see any missing. If there is poo in the enclosure then he is eating.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, can you give me the temps in c not f? we have a galileo in the room i was going to keep him so that monitors our room temp but was also going to get a digital thermometer for his terra so i would know accurately what the temp was.

plus i want to get him the 5% uv bulb so he has the uv during the day that although most people say they don't need some say it is beneficial. what do you think?

The spot im thinking of placing him is in a room which temp varies. in the winter our house is generally quite cold so would need to get sufficient heating for him but i think in the summer he wont need any heating in his tanks as our house is small so our house gets quite hot but we always leave it ventilated during the day etc as we have cats so maintaining a acceptable temp in our house is essential anyway. if things get too hot i will move him to our bedroom where it generally stays a reasonable temp.

but for now he would need a little bit of additional heating as our room drops quite cold during the day. ive seen on these forums some people saying that people recommending room temps for them is wrong? but i don't think he would need that much additional heating which is why my friend recommended a heat mat but i wouldn't know where would be the best place to put it in the terra?

so should i start out with a smaller terra then? should i get a 12x12x18 (inches) to start then get a bigger one when he is bigger? ive read somewhere too bigger terras for babies can make it difficult for them to find food etc so i had wondered about that. money isn't too much of a problem, i had budgeted to get the adult tank so getting a smaller one first works out even better anyway and then put money aside for when he needs upgrading and sell the old one. thanks for responding! - your help is MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
812 Posts
22 to 25.5 for daytime and no lower then 18 at night. Digital thermometer is the way forward as they are much more accurate.

As for UV lighting I personally do not use it but some people here do. It's not going to do your Crestie any harm if he doesn't need it because he will be hiding away in the daytime when it's on anyway. My Cresties thrive without it and Cresties kept with UV also seem to thrive so it's up to you if you use it or not. If you are thinking about live plants then UV is needed for them to photosynthasise (not sure if i've spelt that right:whistling2:)

I would recommend starting out with a smaller viv yes, if he is 4 months old there is a chance he could struggle finding his food in a large one. A large Faunarium should be ok for him until he is 8 to 10 months depending how quickly he grows. Something like this:

Exo Terra Std. Faunarium Large, PT2265 on eBay (end time 21-Feb-10 23:01:09 GMT)

Or you could go for the 12x12x18 if you want to, it would look better but costs more.

If you need to use additional heating then a heat mat of a pulse stat could be used. You could put it on the back or one of the sides. A heat mat that covers around 1/3 of the side you put it on would be ok.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in that case he would need additional heating during the day but would be fine on an evening without when we're back from work and put the heating on.
yeah i'd rather spend a bit more money on the exo terra as they do look nice and would be easier to sell afterwards. so would i put the heat mat behind the 'rock' wall decoration? or on one of the sides (and im assuming it would go on the outside not the inside!!!!)
sorry for 20Q but i wanted advice from people who kept them and could answer questions properly for me. i wanted to go to a local pet shop but ive noticed they only push the product on you (ie if i asked about the lighting they would pratically put it in my basket). but yeah i want to get this 100% right. i dont want to start out with this and then do something terrible. i know there's trial and error to learn but there's a difference to costing a life.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi,

My Crestie is in a 12x12x18 Exo-Terra with a Heat Mat attached to the back. That warms the background gently and the Crestie likes to sleep behind leaves close-by.

Temperatures are about 72deg during the day, dropping to mid 60s at night. He's fine with that. I also have a small wattage UV for daytime - mainly because he's in a shaded area of the room. He's been in these conditions since he was wee small, and his growth rate was amazing.

I also have a 25w moon-glo bulb for night viewing. Personal preference, mind. It's not a necessity. I will say that the Crestie loves to spread out on a vine just below the bulb, so it must provide some warmth.

He has a nightly dish (milk carton cap) with Repashay mixed with Mango (though he also likes mashed banana), and crickets tossed in twice or three times a week. I very lightly dust the crix - not because I think he needs it (he gets what he needs from the CGD) - but dusted crix are easier for him to see. A bit like white shirts in a disco.

I've a 18x18x24 Exo-Terra on stand by for him to move into once he's grown a bit more.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ooh yeah that's great thanks. i was hoping to put it on the back so it heats the background (rocky) but wasn't sure.
just ot be doubly safe you do put the heat mat on the outside of the terra don't you?

im really excited about getting one and want one now (!!!) but i want to do loads of research first. spent a week so far everyday researching, finding the best products etc etc and im nearly there but still a few things i want to sort out first.

i think i will get the lighting, i know most people have said they dont have one and theirs do thrive but i think it would look better from a viewing perspective plus i was hoping to have some live plants in there once ive researched which ones are safe.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes the heatmat goes on the outside, the heat will radiate through the glass easily enough.

Quiller - Do you have one of the Exo Terra backgrounds in your setup? I would have thought that it stops the heat getting through because it's polystyrene? I could be wrong of course and am happy to be told that I am :whistling2:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes the heatmat goes on the outside, the heat will radiate through the glass easily enough.

Quiller - Do you have one of the Exo Terra backgrounds in your setup? I would have thought that it stops the heat getting through because it's polystyrene? I could be wrong of course and am happy to be told that I am :whistling2:
hmmm im curious about that to. ? would you get away with putting the heat mat behind the background?:whistling2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
I always take the back out of the exoterras, I find crickets hide behind there and also it makes it easier to clean. Cresties run around the glass anyway, and I actually found that mine stayed more on the glass than the background anyway. I just cover the back with silk plants for them to hide in.

I personally don't use UV with mine and they do fine, I did try it, but they stayed hidden and to me it was a waste of money, though I hear it work well for some, if you are going to use UV make sure that the viv is well ventilated and the cresties can get away for the light (as there can be heat issues with lights).

well done for finding out about everything before you get one, there are some good books out there as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts