Reptile Forums banner

Crested gecko HELP!!!

637 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GlassWalker 
#1 ·
Hello everyone i have recently got some crested geckos for the first time. i have got a male and female adult and 2 which are around 3 months old.

I have got the pair in a exo terra 60 x 45 x 90 and they seem to be doing fine however i never see the female leave the bushes is this ok? or is the male harrising her? i would like to breed them now or in the future but need some advice how to. can anyone help?

I have got the 2 baby cresties in a medium sized repti breeze, i know it sounds stupid but i siliconed background onto the back and sizes so the humidity didnt escape. However i never see the babies eating or can tell if they have been eating.

I am currently feeding them all on the komodo CGD and mixing it with strawberries, mango, pear and apple. is this ok? i just ordered my Repashy CGD so will get them on that as soon as it arrives. is there anything more i should feed them as im worried they aint getting the right food.

Cheers

#2 · (Edited)
3 months old is far to young to breed regardless what time of year.. what weights are they ?

Young cresties only eat a tiny amount, use a milk bottle cap or somthing with only a very small amount of cgd.. you might see lick marks or gone.
Repashy or Clarkes seem to be enjoyed more than komodo

#4 ·
3 months old is far to young to breed regardless what time of year.. what weights are they ?

i know i am new to crested geckos but i am not completely stupid. i know from previously breeding bearded dragons that 3 months is too young.

kelsy so should i just mix the CGD with water and twice a week mix it with fruit? i have seen some other posts and some people just put fruit in there please can u tell me what is easier or the right way?

i was also wondering why alot of people say dont give them banana? but i have seen repashy have got a banana flavoured CGD. so confused !!!

#3 ·
I wouldn't use apple as it is a bit too acidic. Also, I would give them the CGD every day but leave the fruit as treats once or twice a week.

The male and female really shouldn't be together at this time of year. If possible separate them (maybe use something to divide the exo) and put them together around march time next year. This will give the female a chance to have a break from the male and ensure she is up to weight for next year (35-40g, but 40g+ is better)

Babies will eat very little (a couple of licks at the most) so don't worry too much about that.

#5 ·
Repashy CGD is a complete balanced food and you don't need to mix it with anything else. It is even recommended that you don't as you will alter the balance of the mix. Occasional fruit is ok which I use myself to provide variety in diet, but if used more regular you might look at supplementing it with multi-vitamins and calcium. I'm don't know about komodo as I haven't used that.

Bananas have a relatively high phosphorus content which can upset the balance with calcium hence the general precautionary advice is not to use it, as it is easier than figuring out how much is ok, or what else you need to supplement with. I have the repashy banana flavoured CGD and it smells so nice I want to try it... :D

#7 ·
Occasional fruit is ok which I use myself to provide variety in diet, but if used more regular you might look at supplementing it with multi-vitamins and calcium.
So if i wanted i could cut abit of mango off n just put it in the viv like that? usually i blend a mixture of fruit n mix it with the CGD?

Witchyroo that is a good idea about the food on the leaves im going to try that tonight. i will also make a few feeding spots for them just in case.

thanks guys

#6 · (Edited)
I'm no expert but I have 2 cresties who are now 6 months old.
I use repashy. Fresh everyday. Fed in the evening. I give dusted tiny crickets, wax worms or hoppers twice a week. They only eat one or two each. I don't give extra fruit, I just use repashy and gut loaded dusted bugs. When they were babies I fed off my finger tip but don't now as one nips! :) Now they have a mini saucer and a couple of bottle tops in the viv. That was they'll find them if they don't venture too far. I've put blobs on leaves etc too. Good luck with them.

#8 ·
babies eat such tiny amounts you only need a pea sized lump in a milk bottle cap for them, you should see lick marks in it. i change mine every other day, as they seem to like it a bit crusty!

you could also try a few small dusted brown crickets, sometimes the chase stimulates them to eat.

the rule of baby crestie keeping seems to be - if you can see poops they`re eating!

the adult female might be stressed by the male if she`s hiding 24/7
you could try dividing the viv and putting them back together in the spring.it`ll give her a rest and give her chace to get her calcium levels up for the egg laying.

#9 ·
The fruit needs to be mashed since they can't bite bits off. You can blend it with CGD, although as said CGD tends to be formulated to be complete by itself so anything else you do to it will unbalance it. But with food we're talking about longer term averages here so occasional variations are not going to hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.