Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know baby crested geckos are best kept in smaller Faunariums etc, but the one I'm looking at is already 4 months old, would he be alright going straight into a larger (45x45x60cm) viv? Just wondering as it would be much easier to have this one set up straight off.

Appreciating all advice,

Joe

·
Registered
549 Posts
All depends on the size of the gecko as at 4 months age one crestie can be twice the size as another, id reccomend if you ddnt want to buy a smaller setup would be to move the background forward to make the enclosure itself smaller. Just make sure any gaps around the background are filled with wet tissue and allowed to go rock hard.Also make sure you put something behind the background to keep it in place, a shoebox is perfect.

Hope this helps
CrestieCrazy

·
Registered
549 Posts
It's hard to say as I don't measure my cresties but when you look at him/her and think he/she could use more room then give it to him/her.

Sorry I couldnt be more exact
CrestieCrazy

·
Registered
513 Posts
Recently started keeping Cresties for the first time and currently house a sub-adult pair in a 60 x 60 exo-terra where they seem happy enough.

However I could do with using the exo-terra for my Day-Geckos long-term, I have a 75 x 45 x 45 wooden viv available that I could move the Cresties in to but I'm not sure how well these Geckos fare in wooden vivaria.

Would really appreciate peoples advice on pros and cons or if this type of viv will even make a suitable habitat.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a 6 month old who is still in a faun. :) Infact all of mine are in fauns with the exception of Dexter as he is a biiiiig boy for his age so he is IN A 30X30X45. Personally speaking I would put yours in a faun then move it up to a 30x30x45 then onto a 45x45x60 but it depends on what you want to do and how much money your willing to spend. The good thing with the 30x30x45 is if you ever got more youngsters, it can be used to grow them on in after the Faun stage :) Others may disagree, but this is just my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer here :) Just personal preference!

Just please please PLEASE investigate all your substrates and everything first. I have a big thing about impaction, and have lost 4 due to it, so I'm very wary. At 4 months they should still be on Kitchen Towel anyway, so my advice is regardless of whether or not it is being sold to you already on a substrate I would take it off and put it on KT as it really is very risky. The crestie may have mastered hunting on eco earth or whatever, but that doesn't mean it won't ever miss and get a mouthful of substrate and become impacted. Also shedding whilst on ecoearth or any other substrate other than lino or KT can cause problems.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It's completely up to you and what you feel comfortable doing. I put my 3 month old Cresties in a 45x45x60 exo and they were completely fine. So people prefer to keep them in something smaller until they grow on, others put them straight into the big exo.

If you do put them straight into the exo then make sure there is multiple hiding place, plently of vines/branches/plants to help break any falls and multiple feeding points so they don't have issues finding food.

Good luck, Kelsey

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cool. As I say my pair seem to be doing ok, but does anyone have any experience of keeping them in wooden vivs? Dont know if there would be any issues with heat or humidity in a wooden set-up and if it would be too large (75 x 45 x 45 approx).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool. As I say my pair seem to be doing ok, but does anyone have any experience of keeping them in wooden vivs? Dont know if there would be any issues with heat or humidity in a wooden set-up and if it would be too large (75 x 45 x 45 approx).

im new to cresties 2 ive only had mine for 3 weeks , but what ive read on here the trouble with wooden vivs is because u mist a lot the wood can swell and distort if thats the word lol , but i think it can be done if you seal it 1st i suggest u try and have a look through other posts and try and find people that have done it , i remember reading sum 1 was going to convert an old wadrobe so as for size i think it just depends on what u have room for

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I started off my 3, 3 month old cresties (4g) staright in a 45x45x60cm exo & they done fine.

My current 9g baby went into a 45x45x60cm exo & seems fine.

Now my 2 year old female came from a multi gecko home (big viv) now in a 45x45x60 & she seems nervy.

I think it depends on the gecko & mine seem to be braver & bolder as babies.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree with most people on here. I tend to advise people to move into a 45 x 45 x 60 after at least 6 months, but its up to the individual.

At 4 months, like its already been pointed out, there can be huge size difference in gecko's. So long as your little guy is able to find food, water and doesn't hide up permanently I cant see a problem. I mean seconds after hatching in the wild, they are in the biggest terrarium of them all and a lot of those get on ok ;)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Don't do it. You need to keep the humidity up with crested gecko's and that can cause the wood to eventually mold up. And mold spores spell bad news for cresties, they can lead to some very serious respiratory infections.

Even treated wood eventually molds up, your best of just not taking the risk : victory:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Also shedding whilst on ecoearth or any other substrate other than lino or KT can cause problems.
Haven't ever had a problem here. In fact I would say when my cresties are on Eco earth they shed more easily, it holds humidity better than kitchen roll. I have my breeding groups on Eco-earth during the off season and on Kitchen roll when laying (so they lay in the box - fed up with hunting eggs out the first year) Unless of course you mean they can ingest some eco-earth when shedding, which makes logical sense.

But agree with you 100% that kitchen roll is safer impaction wise. All of my youngsters are on Kitchen roll, right up until the moment of sale (and hopefully after) : victory:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts