·
Registered
3,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops I didn't realise it had a swear word in it! Sorry :blush:

I thought the funniest thing in the whole video whether you agree with inbreeding or not was the fact that someone can be viewed as being an expert just because they have loads of posts on a forum and some geckos :lol2:

I hate the term expert for reptile keepers as there is always something else to learn, I've been keeping reptiles for over 20 years and have bred many species including some extremely rare species but I would never claim to be an expert, a knowledgeable keeper yes but an expert no.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Oops I didn't realise it had a swear word in it! Sorry :blush:

I thought the funniest thing in the whole video whether you agree with inbreeding or not was the fact that someone can be viewed as being an expert just because they have loads of posts on a forum and some geckos :lol2:

I hate the term expert for reptile keepers as there is always something else to learn, I've been keeping reptiles for over 20 years and have bred many species including some extremely rare species but I would never claim to be an expert, a knowledgeable keeper yes but an expert no.
I prefer the word experienced

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I prefer the word experienced
Although you do get some people who have had a leo for a week or so and think they're experienced :lol2:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although you do get some people who have had a leo for a week or so and think they're experienced :lol2:

Agreed! It's funny really when you see some of the posts where people are giving out advice for a species they haven't kept 5 minutes themselves.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Love it :lol2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
lol..best thing i have seen in a while:2thumb:

·
Banned
756 Posts
haha that is quality
"she has 23:11:9 crested geckos. she is clearly an expert."

the voice makes it even funnier :lol2:

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I don't know that I like the idea that inbreeding is justified by the girl as it is 'necessary to develop and create morphs'...perhaps I'm taking it too seriously, but I don't think that is sufficient reason for it myself. There are similar videos relating to ball python breeding and becoming a millionaire overnight which are good as well!

I liked the 'I don't know any asian kids, I'm from the suburbs' bit tho lol.

·
5,234 Posts
What makes me laugh here, is not the situation (although I fully understand the frustration caused by keyboard warriors), but more the hypocrisy of it. To denounce internet "experts" in one 'virtual breadth' and in the next, attempt to set themselves up as the same...

"...you need to know something about genetics...", sadly the examples given are by no means genetic merits of inbreeding, but rather a way to justify inbreeding for profit in captivity.

Now I know more about inbreeding than most, and could think of many legitimate justifications for its practice in captive gecko species... They wouldn't be money oriented though.

Andy

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Agreed! It's funny really when you see some of the posts where people are giving out advice for a species they haven't kept 5 minutes themselves.

I've not kept Cresties for very long at all but i did plenty of research over several months & asked breeders about their care etc... before i bought mine. If someone asks a "simple" question i feel i can help with then i will try to help, if not i leave it to "the experts" to answer :whistling2:.

Yes the Royal videos posted by Woodage were classic ones & i guess similar to this one.

G

·
Now I know more about inbreeding than most, and could think of many legitimate justifications for its practice in captive gecko species.
I hope you don't mind me asking, but if you get the time could you post some examples/ studies undertaken. As I haven't read enough about the effects of inbreeding to justify a valid opinion.

If you don't have the time then don't worry :)

Chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts